We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Dear Gurus,

I have booked my tickets on Rajdani express from Sealdah on 31st. I stay in Newtown. Will it be an issue to reach station on that day. The train is at 6.30 PM. Please let me know any alternatives?

Thanks

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

hi KING12345 ,

i have travelled on this route before. i didnt face any issues til Chingrighata More . But starting Chingrighata till Sealdah was too congested and had experienced slow traffic . But i guess AshisRoy and Brave1 can provide you the best options .

Usually starting a bit early would take care of the issue . Distance would be approx 10-15 kms .

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

From Rajarhat, take the midway bridge and come out near Big Bazar/AMRI hospital. Then take the road past Hyatt to Sealdah via PhoolBagan. The route will take you about 30-40 min in moderate traffic. Start around 4.30-5 and you will be fine.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Hi Twonhalf, Brave1

Thanks for the responses. BJP and Left parties called for a Bandh on that day. So I am worried about the transport options to the station on that day. Is it safe to reach to station? Will there be buses/taxis on that day? As I am new to Kolkata I am not sure how things will be on that day...

Thanks

Praveen

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

i guess Sealdah has Non A/C retiring rooms and dorms . if you want you can do a night stay in one of those .

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

KING12345

There might be problem due to Bundh. I would suggest to get a hotel around CIT Road (Executive Tower or so) on 30th evening. It would be easier to get transport from there for Sealdah station, at least you can reach by a rickshaw also. The station is hardly 10 min walk from CIT Road.

AshisRoy

Edited: 4:51 am, May 29, 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Hi Ashis, Twonhalf

I work in Saltlake. Need to check if I have office on 31st. If yes I will take my luggage to office and leave from there. Also my wife is traveling with me.

1. What about personal vehicles? Are they allowed? I can ask my friend to drop me if they are allowed and it is safe.

2. What about trains? Will there be any delay in the train departure timings?

Thanks

Praveen

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Praveen

Private cars will not be obstructed by the Bundh activists, effect of the bundh will be faded out in late hours of the day.

The train may get delayed for few hours due to obstruction on the railway track, but that won't be a big issue.

AshisRoy

Edited: 8:02 am, May 29, 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Thanks a lot Ashis,

I can plan to reach to station by my friend's car now :) May need to alter my Himachal plans as I will be reaching Delhi late on 1st.

Regards

Praveen

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Hmm..now I remember, I have replied your several queries in the other forum.

AshisRoy

Edited: 1:04 pm, May 29, 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Problem to reach Sealdah on 31st May??

Yes :)

I have planned according to your suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)