We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living and advice required

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost of living and advice required

Hi all,

Would be grateful for your inputs on a couple of questions i had. If i receive take home salary as 20000 would it be enough to support a family of 3 ppl? We have a very Modest lifestyle and rarely go out to malls. Cinema etc. Please advise and comment since this has been bugging me a lot of late...

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living and advice required

It very much depends on where and what kind of accomodation you want. In centre of city and outskirts of city there is great difference. Depends upon location of your work place also.

deepak

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living and advice required

Well my current location is far from the city... About 30 odd kms away.. Also what i was basically looking for was the general cost of living in the city..

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living and advice required

Apart from the above , i had another query. My office is in new alipore and my wife's office in dlf ... We both wanted to minimize our travel time and hence were lookin for a house which falls roughly in between these two areas... One of my colleagues suggested the e m bypass area. Please advise.. If you could suggest areas, approx travel times and approx rent prices i would be very very grateful... My rent budget would be 6500 to 7000 bucks a month.. Please help me out here

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,822 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living and advice required

Well, try to find a 2 room flat in Chetla/Behala/Tollygunge area. Those are close to New Alipore and the rental charges of flats are relatively low in these areas. DLF is in New Town, she'll get the bus from these areas or may have to travel a little for the bus.

Edited: 12:20 pm, September 04, 2011
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,341 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living and advice required

Try for a flat in or around the Santoshpur or Jadavpur area close to the bypass. Its sort of midway, and the rents might be in the range you are looking for. I would not suggest Behala as the distance from New Town would be far too much. Kasba is another option, as its on the E.M. Bypass.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,822 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living and advice required

Behala was suggested, considering its closer to New Alipur (office area of the poster) and direct connectivity of bus to New Town (DLF). Moreover, the house rental is relatively cheaper in Behala.

Edited: 11:36 pm, September 04, 2011
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,341 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living and advice required

I agree with you about the rent part AshisRoy, but the commuting time would be far too much for one person and much less for the other. On the other hand, Santoshpur or Jadavpur would ensure a midway commute for both persons. However, its up to the OP to consider all the options we are offering him and make a decision as to what he would choose based on his convenience.

Hyderabad, India
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living and advice required

sir,

can u please suggest me the cost of living, including food ,room and basic amenities in and aroundDM Block salt city lake, near wipro offie for a couple, me and my wife

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,822 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living and advice required

In Kolkata, a family of 2 can live @ Rs.15K p.m. to any budget. It all depends on your lifestyle.

Edited: 11:12 am, August 01, 2012
10. Re: Cost of living and advice required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 20, 2013