We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice needed

Which Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
hotel advice needed

hi

i need some advice.

I need to find accommodation in Kolkata and Bhubaneshwar/ Puri.

it is for myself and my mum and therefore needs to be safe, but also central.

Mum would like to stay in temple accommodation - Ithink this will be too basic.

are there any hotels that you would recommend in any of these places.

would it be better to stay in Bhubaneshwar or Puri?

we will stay in Kolkata for 3 nights and the same in Bhubaneshwar/ Puri.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel advice needed

Hi,

In Kolkata would you like to stay somewhere central and close to shopping or in residential areas which might be a bit further away ? And what is your budget for both places ?

In Kolkata you can try Hotel Lytton, or Hotel Lindsay or Hotel Astor. These are medium range hotels in the city center. I agree that temple accom will be very basic and I will not recommend it.

In Orissa, you might want to stay in Puri as its near to the Jagannath Temple and you also get the seashore as an added attraction. Bhubaneshwar is great for travelling to nearby places but you can do the same trips from Puri as well.

If you have the budget, I would recommend the Mayfair or the Hans Plaza. If not, try the BNR hotel or Puri Hotel. You will need to take AC deluxe rooms in both, anything less I would not recommend.

I can suggest more options, but I need to know your budget.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel advice needed

In Budget range Z Hotel is good !

Once I visited Puri at the time of Rath Yatra, Puri hotels were full, So I stayed at Path Niwas, Konark and traveled by the mini buses that operate between these two places. It was a nice experience at night when Black Pagoda was lit up and there were not many people around.

cheshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel advice needed

thans for the advice guys.

i would prefer to near to where most of the action is in both instances. I do not really want to spend most of my time travelling when I could be sight seeing.

for pm entertainment i would be interested in going to the cinema, seeing dance programm etc

i want to avoid top end priced hotels, but i believe budget hotels would not be of sufficient comfort for someone in their 60s

what do you think?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel advice needed

Where is Z hotel Yogi, I don't think I have heard of it. Is it in Sudder Street ?

princess, from what I gather about your needs, try the Hotel Astor or Lytton in Kolkata. Go for the BNR hotel or Puri Hotel in Puri. I have tried to balance my recommendations between pricing, location and comfort.

There are many more options if you have the budget, but I still don't have a quantitative amount to work with. The hotels I suggested will be in the $ 70 range in Kolkata, $ 50 or thereabouts in Puri.

cheshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel advice needed

i guess i can't suggest a budget as it is so varied across India

I am having to budget inr6000 per night in mumbai, but i am happy with the quality of accomodation i can get for half that in Lucknow.

if i sggest a budget and it only gets me 2* then that would be a problem

I am not bothered about staying in the likes of Oberoi etc as i think they are overpriced

Equally I think i think you get wat you pay for and if i got too cheap i don't think it would be safe.

ny mum has been told about temple accommodation but i do not now if it wuld be suitable

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel advice needed

Does anyone have any recent experience with Rushabh Home, Middleton Street? I stayed there many, many years ago. It was clean and comfortable enough for me at that time. Location was excellent and convenient. It was safe for me as a young woman (at that time) on her own for a while in Cal.

I was thinking of staying there again if I need to make another visit. I would ideally like to keep costs down, but like Princessmol, I maybe willing to fork out a little more in case there is no suitable 2 or 3*.

Basic acco is fine by me as long as it is safe and clean and not shady or seedy.

I would like recent experiences and/or views. I have been through a few reviews, which as usual are mixed.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel advice needed

Hi Brave,

Sorry, I forgot to specify place, hotel Z is in Puri.

8. Re: hotel advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 26, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)