We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days in kolkata?

Germany
Level Contributor
245 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
how many days in kolkata?

how long is a good time to stay in kolkata?

and what is not to be missed?

thanks!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days in kolkata?

Replied to your other post. Just see the older posts in this forum.

Germany
Level Contributor
245 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days in kolkata?

thanks!

i've checked out the other posts, but most of the people wanted to get advise on staying there for a day or just half a day.

i was more thinking of 3 1/2 days. but since apparently many people just passed through or by, i'm a bit uncertain, if this would be too much time.

usually i explore a city on foot - 3 1/2 days in mumbai wasn't enough for me.

thanks for helping me out!!!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days in kolkata?

The first question you need to ask yourself,why are you going to Calcutta-it is not your typical tourist destination. I would strongly suggest,you read some guide books-Fodor's,Frommer's, Lone Planet,Let's Go,etc.,toget some idea about Calcutta-the Cultural, and Intellectual capital of the nation.Some suggestions, College street-Presidency College-India Coffee House,the Victoria Memorial, Indian Museum, National Library, MarblePalace, Swabhumi(a heritage center), the Millenium Park, Botanical Gardens, Eden Gardens, etc.

Germany
Level Contributor
245 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many days in kolkata?

@alumnus - why, in your opinion, shouldn't i go to kolkata?

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many days in kolkata?

The question should be " Why should I go to Kolkata?"

The answers - Precisely because it's not one of the typical tourist resorts! It's busy, bustling, vibrant, and one of the friendliest places to visit. There are wonderful places to visit as alumnus has listed. There are wonderful eating places, hotels, clubs etc. etc. One thing is certain - you will never forget, or regret your time there!

Go, wander around, enjoy!

Tony

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how many days in kolkata?

I could not have said it better-that is the point,you will have tolook at the soul of Calcutta-it is easy to decide to go to see the Taj Mahal-not so simple a decesion as to why you go to Calcutta.If you want to see real India,you will find it here. Give you an eaxample-with all its well known poverty, problems of a huge metro polis-they go crazy with Book Fare-tellme another place where you will see anything like this.You walk on College Street,you will seelittle stalls with books,magazines,people, even not very welloff, will stop and pick up a book or two. By the way,did you know, all five Nobel Laureates from India were from or worked in Calcutta? Calcutta-the State of Bengal is under going a profound change-almost as profound as the first first renassainance of the early 19th.century.

The bottom line-go to Calcutta with an open mind, talk with people, get a sense of what human beings are allabout.One suggestion though-do not,I mean do not drink tapwater,ever-only bottled water or hot tea/coffee.

Pleasepost you experience on your return,wish you the best,

Germany
Level Contributor
245 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many days in kolkata?

thanks tony and alumnus!

you describe exactly the way i feel about india!

so now i know - it is going to stay there for 5 days.

sorry, but i am a bit spoiled by now, any tips for me where i can get a discount price for the oberoi in kolkata?

thanks again!

i really appreciate your insights!!!

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many days in kolkata?

I like to travel to places that arnt the normal usual tourist places and are "the real india " i had looked at going here too , something had caught my eye , i cant remember now , but it is on my list so to hear you ask why do they want to go there threw me altogether ....

thanks for the question and for the answers , you made up my mind too now , although i will hate seeing the poverty side of it .

would 1 or 2 nights be enough time to see everything there ?

cheers

batt

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how many days in kolkata?

Kolkata is a funny city. You can see all of it in 2 days if you do the tourist beat. But if you want to really know what the city is about, you will have to bear the traffic, the noise and the poverty and walk around the streets, and you will see very little after 2 months. Its how you approach the city that matters. Do not take the city at face value. Its a real gem if you take the time, be patient, and look around the offbeat places.

Some very good city itenaries and places to see have been suggested in the earlier posts. Think of it as part of the city experience and look through them. After that, if there are any specific questions, feel free to ask here or email me at brave_1@hotmail.com

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how many days in kolkata?

thanks so much , india sounds so big !

i will do some research and if i have any questions i will email you .....

thanks a million

batt

Get answers to your questions about Kolkata (Calcutta)