We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of transfers

Which Darjeeling hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of transfers

Hello

I require transfer to Darjeeling from NJP train station then a transfer from Darjeeling to bagdogra airport

Can anyone please tell me a reasonable price? I would like to prearrange so any recommendations for drivers would be good too

My hotel has quoted 5000rp- not sure of this is a good price?

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of transfers

Hi MJReet

NJP to Darjelling is around Rs180 on sharing basis and reserve car would cost Rs2200(approx).

UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of transfers

5000 sounds like they're either taking you in a golden Rolls Royce of they've spotted you're from a long way away and might not realise you're getting ripped off. 5000 is more than I'm paying for flights from Delhi to Bagdogra - I certainly wouldn't pay that for a taxi up the hill to Darj.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of transfers

Sorry they've quoted 2500 one way

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of transfers

2500 is reasonable quote for one way Bagdogra to Darjeeling..

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi
Level Contributor
10,919 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of transfers

If they have quoted 5K for round trip then its ok.

London, UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of transfers

Hi Reet,

I took one of the regular share jeeps from outside NJP railway station to Darjeeling. It took about 2.5 hours and cost about 150 rupees one way, from memory.

However, the jeep was very crowded and the driver drove extremely fast up the hill. Not for the faint hearted, but it was cheap and they strap luggage on the roof.

There seemed to be plenty of transport available to Darjeeling (and other Himalayan hill stations) at NJP railway station and the touts seemed desparate for custom and are well aware where the tourists want to go to.

Best of luck !

Keith

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of transfers

Thanks! I might just wing it and try save some money! All about the adventure right?! Lol

London, UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of transfers

Hi Reet,

Yes, it was fun taking the jeep and an experience in itself, although cramped as they pack in as many passengers in the jeep as possible (mostly locals). It did, however, get more comfortable as you approach Darjeeling as the locals reach their destinations and get off.

I am not sure if the jeeps run up to Darjeeling in the afternoon. My train arrived at NJP station in the early morning and there were plenty of jeeps available at this time.

Can others advise Reet on this point ?

Travel safe !

Keith

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi
Level Contributor
10,919 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of transfers

hi

Cab would be easily available in afternoon too.

10. Re: Cost of transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 01, 2015