We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darjeeling Update

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Darjeeling Update

Situation of Darjeeling seems to be normalise soon. The strike which has been callled off for 2 days for transportation and shops, is now lifted for everything. Offices, Schools and everything will be open in these 2 days.

All the leaders also know that, October is the peak tourist season and tourism is the main source of the local economy. So, things will be sorted out soon. Tourists planning for Darjeeling Trip in September end or October, may not cancel their plan.

Edited: 10:09 am, September 08, 2013
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi, I'm from Bangladesh. I have been planning with my wife for the first time trip to Shiliguri, Darjeeling, Kalingpom from October 19th to 25th. Is it a good time to visit those areas considering weather and political condition? How should I get myself prepared? What necessary things should I take? What places should I visit? If there are other things to do then please mention it. Need your advice.

Thanks & Regards

//Sajib

email: sajib_22@yahoo.com

Dhaka, Bangladesh

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi Sajib

Your dates of traveling are after pujas so there will be not much rush as people will be coming back after pujas. Climate will be good out there during this period and no need to carry heavy woolens during that time.You can go to Gangtok also for 2 days. Permit is required for sikkim which can be arranged at your end.

Sanchit

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darjeeling Update

Thanks Sanchit for your valuable feedback.

Regards

Sajib

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darjeeling Update

GOOD NEWS !!! The strike in Darjeeling has been withdrawn till October 20th.

Edited: 6:59 am, September 10, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darjeeling Update

Anytime Sajib

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi Sanchit,

I'm planning to visit Mirik-Darjeeling-Kalimpong-Gangtok from 19th to 25th October. Earlier you have mentioned that the strike has been withdrawn till 20th October. As I'm planning after that date so would I face any problem. Or what could be situation?

Another issue can I arrange permission for Gangtok after entering India or will I collect permission from here? One my friends told me that India does not give permission to Bangladeshis for Gangtok. Do you know anything about it? Please let me know.

Thanks

//Sajib

Edited: 3:45 am, September 16, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi Sajib

Hopefully the withdrawn strike will be extended but cant surely say what will happen lets hope for the best.

Regarding permits for sikkim you have to contact Ministry of Home Affair in India from where you will get the permits. All details are there on the website.

You can procure it in Dhaka also just contact it over there.

Sanchit

Dhaka
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Darjeeling Update

So far I know, visiting Gangtok is not allowed for Bangladeshis. If you visit www.ivacbd.com you will find a section named " Restricted area permission". There you will find a form of seeking permission for Gangtok, it may take minimum one month to issue the permission from Delhi as Dhaka High commission have no authority to issue such permission on spot. Moreover you do not have enough time in hand to go for such experiment.

So it's better to quit Gangtok. But it is magnificent.

Dhaka
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi,

I am coming from Bangladesh to Shiliguri on Oct 14. 2013 by night to visit Kalimpong & Darjeeling. Due to Puja, is there any possibility of crisis of not getting any Taxi to hire on Oct 15th morning to go to Kalimpong?

Pls advice me any alternatives for such unseen situation.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Darjeeling Update

There might be some crisis of cab on 15/10 due to Dusserah, because, 30% of the cab owner/driver will be celebrating Dusserah on 15th Oct.

Edited: 2:59 am, September 27, 2013