We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Which Darjeeling hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

If I have to choose between visiting Sikkim or Darjeeling having 3 days what should I do? Sikkim or Darjeeling?

Thank you!

Ana

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,652 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Ana R

The situation of Darjeeling is improving, likely to be resolved by a week or so. You can do Sikkim first then come to Darjeeling. Hopefully, things will be settled by that time.

Edited: 9:13 pm, September 08, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Hi,

Darjeeling is a STRICT NO considering the current political scenario.. There is a Helicopter ride from Bagdogra to Gangtok. Commonly though, a 4 wheeler is preferred. Would cost around 2.5K. Half day Gangtok tour would be fine. Must visit is Channgu Lake (40Kms from Gangtok). Also you should visit the Baba Mandir & learn about the "Original" story of an Indian Soldier guarding the Borders. As its a 3 day trip, cant advice you to Lanchen/Lachung,Gurudongmar,Yumthang, Yumisamdong & Chopta Valley, all of which are in North Sikkim. It generally takes a 3 night road trip for this itenary. Also important is to know if u r travelling alone? Gangtok is generally safe but as the time u r visiting is High season, expect higher cost than normal. Stay in M.G.Marg area hotels only. Eg Hotel Oriental or Tashi Delek.

Incase you require more info, please feel free to ask.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Thank you. Where can I take the helicopter? Can I book when I arrive in the morning?

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,652 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Ana R

Bagdogra-Gangtok helicopter service @Rs.2700/p.p. Heli Service booking : 03592-2698030/203960. Nima Yalmo +917797930380, Reewaj Sharma +918116424064

Edited: 9:26 pm, September 09, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Hi Ana

it will be good if you book it in advance. Just contact them and you will get all the details.

Sanchit

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Thank you! Do you think by land from Bagdogra it is impossível to pass to Sikkim on the 15th September?

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,652 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Ana R

You can reach Gangtok by road transport from Bagdogra. As you asked for the contacts of helicopter booking, the detail was given.

Edited: 3:03 am, September 10, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Ana

Yo can go to Sikkim by land from Bagdogra. Not an issue in that.

Sanchit

New Delhi
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

Hi Sanchit and Ashish

On behalf of everyone, thank you both for answering to these questions on the forums.

I was just about to book a 3 day vacation to Darjeeling (24-27 Oct) but just saw your posts about strikes. Cancelled them and now planning for Gangtok.

Gangtok looks beautiful. The only reason I din't consider it earlier is because I have a terrible hill sickness problem. Also ,I will be travelling with my wife who would be expecting (5 months). If I am correct, Bagdogra to Gangtok by road must be a very hilly/ spiral route. So here lies my dilemma

- Can you please tell me how good/bad is the route? I have a serious issue in travelling in hilly regions via road. Also, keep in mind my wife's condition.

- How long is the journey (both distance and time)?

- How much does it cost to book a taxi from Bagdogra airport?

- Are the helicopters safe?

Thanks to both of you again.

40. Re: darjeeling or sikkim - 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 22, 2014