We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darjeeling Update

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Darjeeling Update

Darjeeling is politically unrest now. Visiting Darjeeling, Kalimpong and other places comes under the same district to be avoided for the next few weeks. Tourists may change their itinerary accordingly.

Edited: 2:40 am, July 29, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi Ashis Da,

Surfed over all the forums on Darjeeling stike and bandh situations. You, Sanchit were really instrumental in answering the queries and worries. I was upset as I thought my tour is about to get cancelled from 14th-19th August. Now i'm feeling that I can make it to Sikkim. I am reaching NJP on 15th Aug morning(Dibrugarh express) and return from NJP on 19th Aug night(Darjeeling Mail). Can you please suggest a small itenary for this span of Sikkim. Just one factor me and my wife do not want to visit a very lonely place but relatively lively place(yet not very crowded). Kindly suggest

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darjeeling Update

Abhirup1985

15th NJP – Gangtok, handover the documents for N/Sikkim and Tsomgo-Nathula permit.

16th Gangtok - Nathula Pass, Baba Mandir and Tsomgo Lake

17th Gangtok – Lachung

18th Lachung – Yumthang- Gangtok

19th Gangtok - local sightseeing (half day) and return to NJP

Edited: 6:06 am, August 02, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darjeeling Update

Yeah Abhirup no need to be upset. You can easily go ahead with the Sikkim plan and hopefully you will have an amazing time out there. Itinerary suggested by Mr. Ashis is perfect and have a good time out there.

Sanchit

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Darjeeling Update

Thanks a lot.

If weather does not support much should i plan for gangtok and pelling since visiting places would be difficult?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hello Sanchit,

Thanks for your update. I was supposed to go to darjeeling for four days reaching NJP on the 10th. That however appears to have been cancelled. It is possible to tarvel to gangtok by car now as various news networks are reporting NH31 is blocked ?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi Abhirup

You have to chalk out the plan once you are there seeing the weather conditions. Not to worry. Lets hope you will get good weather.

Sanchit

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darjeeling Update

Hi Abhinav B

Not heard about NH 31 getting blocked. Will have to check but as per my last information it was trouble free and you can go to Gangtok via that.

Sanchit

8. Re: Darjeeling Update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:58 pm, August 03, 2013
India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,366 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Darjeeling Update

As of today, there is no blockage on NH-31A. Sikkim bound vehicles are moving normally.

Edited: 1:16 am, August 04, 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Darjeeling Update

Ashis Da and Sanchit now I got the idea..

1. Once I'm at NJP I'll head towards gangtok on 15th directly. Any rough idea on car fare?

2. Depending on weather and my choice I can plan for lachen/lachung.

3. Else I can stay for 2 days in gangtok and for a change move to pelling for 2 days.

Is that fine? I have few questions again. Sorry for being in confusion-

1.Wll it be ok to head from pelling directly to NJP on return date?

2.Where should I stay in pelling area ( lower/middle/upper). Any suggestion.

3. If I plan to go to lachen/lachung will I be able to plan it directly after reaching Gangtok. Will there be any problem with booking. Hotels available easily in lachen/lachung?