We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

Which Darjeeling hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
r m
Delhi
2 posts
Save Topic
Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

hi

my husband n i are planning to visit darjeeling on our 1st anniversary in january.

as we have planned 5 days stay so please suggest which combo is better darjeeling and Gangtok or D and Kalimpong

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

I would vote for G & D. D & K is also good, if you are looking for a simply leisure trip.

AshisRoy

Edited: 10:47 am, December 23, 2011
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

Definitely Darjeeling and Gangtok. There is not much to see in Kalimpong and can be missed. Make it 3 nights Darjeeling, two nights Gangtok.

r m
Delhi
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

thanx for d reply:-)

i have short -listed a few hotels in Darjeeling: Cedar Inn;Dekeling and sanderling.could u please suggest which one of these would be better???

also could u please suggest some good hotels in gangtok below 3000/-

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

In Darjeeling I would recommend Cedar Inn. You may also try Elgin hotel in more or less same range.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

r m

Cedar Inn is the best of three. Try Chumbi Residency or Sikkim Continental in Gangtok.

AshisRoy

Edited: 12:47 am, December 24, 2011
Mumbai
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

for your information

Hi Friends!

I had a wonderful time in Darjeeling and Sikkim thanks to the valuable inputs from friends on trip advisor

I believe its my turn to share certain ideas with you all for your travel

Certain general points to take care of:

1.If u r traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling do not take the Govt approved taxi provider in the airport I had to pay rs 1700 and had I come out and dealt with the taxi driver on my own it wud have cost me sumthin in the range of 1200 to 1500

2.Bargain with the cab drivers.. They charge a bomb for anything and everything.. but also keep in mind that the road conditions are actually pathetic so be reasonable.

3.Before you plan a trip ask the Taxi driver if the road to the destination is open or not.. I experienced this in case of Gangamaya Lake and Tibetean refugee self help centre that after I reached the close by area the driver told me that the road is not motor able and I had to skip those places without any deductions in the price

4.Also ask the driver to tell u more about the destination that forms a part of your plan.. There are certain destinations like museums etc which u can avoid.. they have an entry fee of rupees 10 to 20 that are not worth spending. Unless u are too keen about such places.

DARJEELING:

Padmaja Naidu Himalayan zoological park, Himalayan mountaineering institute – these two destinations are right next to each other the (tour guides cover it as @ separate destinations so b careful) Surely worth a visit.

tensing rock & gombu rock – these are two rocks which you will come across when you are returning from the tea Estates & Tibetan refugee self- help centre. Nothing too great about it

Rock garden – it’s a nicely laid out stretch around a natural waterfall which has been glorified in to a tourist spot. Nice flora and fauna around ahead of it is gangamaya lake which I cud not visit cos of the road conditions.

Tiger Hill – MUST WATCH.. u just cant miss this one we went @ 4 still could not get the rs 20 ticket since they were sold out.. u need to start really early mayb 3:00 am.

Batasia loop, ghoom monastery etc. Awesome places must watch, you may explore the options by taking the Joy ride option in the Toy Train – the train starts from Darjeeling goes to batasia loop (10 Minute Halt), ghoom (30 Minute halt) and then comes back to Darjeeling

---------------------------------------------------------------

SIKKIM:

Could not do much in Sikkim since when I went to Sikkim it was all foggy because of which dint get to do much of sight seeing

nathula pass, tshangu lake, baba mandir – Must Go – all the three spots are covered in one trip. U begin early in the morning and u are done by 3:30 – 4:00 p.m. there are a lot of tour operators on the M G Road they all vary in their rates so inquire with whomsoever u can for taking this trip which will be the most expensive (I paid rs 4800 in November) there is also another option to enter into a deal with the Driver himself go to the Taxi Stand which is located near Lall Bazaar (u may ask for directions) PLEASE GET IT CLARIFIED IF HE CAN ARRANGE FOR THE PERMITS ETC FOR NATHULA PASS.

do-drul chorten, nam nang view point, flower show, Rope Way, Hanuman tok and ganesh tok – the flower show and ropeway were good. I unfortunately cud not see anything at nam namg view point since it was all foggy. Do drul chorten was a Tibetan monastery

on my return I decided to take the chopper rider from burtuk helipad to bagdogra airport it was truly an experience – the chopper takes 35 minutes to reach bagdogra and costs u Rs. 2200 per person. The catch is that u are not allowed to carry more then 10 kgs of luggage with u. also they weigh ur body weight should not cross 80 kgs so totally u and ur baggage shud not exceed 90 kgs… so be careful.. but the experience is worth every paise of it.

I am giving below cell numbers of drivers that I had come across.. u might find it helpful:

Darjeeling:

Santosh (an ex army guy, very very nice man, bagdogra - darjeeling) – 0977595066

Bimal (ex army guy, very very nice man, local sight seeing) – 09775970139

Sikkim:

Tshring – 09434630009

Suresh – 09593286270

Sajit Bangdel – 09733190044 (arranges tours for nathula also doubles up as a cab driver)

Nima – 08145849176

Dilip – 09641531155

Deepak – 09932919589

Bhim – 09647872616

Sandeep Bhutia – 09832043428 (Not a cabbie… He arranges tours for nathula etc)

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

Thx , im going in March , very help full , to bad i,m 1.93m and 103Kg ,so no helicopter flight for me .

Mumbai
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

thanks your information seems to be very useful.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

u should reduce before u leave for sikkim.. believe me the chopper ride must not be missed

10. Re: Drajeeling and Kalimpong or darjeeling and gangtok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, March 09, 2013