We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Which Darjeeling hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
9 posts
Save Topic
Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

I’m planning to travel to Darjeeling in Mid November.

Will it be too cold?

I’ll be reaching New Jalpaiguri by night.

Where will I get a room for the overnight stay?

Do the New Jalpaiguri railway station got any lodging rooms?

I have eight days for vacationing. I’m planning 3 Days in Darjeeling,

1 day in Kalimpong and 4 Days in Gangtok. Any better options?

Can I tour north sikkim and come back to Gangtok the same day? I wouldn’t prefer a stay in north sikkim.

In Darjeeling, is hotel Garuda recommended?

What about Andy’s Guest house or the Different beleuve’s?

I am looking at budget options so as to have a final days stay

at Windamere. I tried Elgin for my last stay at Darjeeling.

But they are fully booked!

In Gangtok I am confused between Hotel Denzong Inn and Hotel Sonam Delek. Which one should I go for? What about Mintokling?

I plan to book Silver Oaks Kalimpong as my last stay.

Hope it will be relaxing.

Do help me decide. Thanks.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Hi,

I'll try to answer some of your questions :

In Mid November, the temparature will not be too cold, but it will be cool. The nights will be chilly but people used to European climates will find it perfect. You are from Dubai, you will find it moderately cold.

In NJP try the Hotel Sinclairs or Hotel Mainak. I am not sure about the quality of the restroom at the station. I wouldnt stay there myself.

3 days Darj, 1 day Kalimpong, and 4 days Gangtok sound about perfect.

Try Hotel Seven Seventeen in Darjeeling, if not already booked. It gets good reviews here.

In Gangtok I suggest the Nor Khill hotel. I dont know about the others.

In Kalimpong, Silver Oaks is perfect.

Hope that helped.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Norkhil in Gangtok is owned by the same group that also runs New Elgin in Darjeeling and Silver Oaks in Kalimpong. These are the best hotels in the triangle.

Although Silver Oaks in Kalimpong is a more modern hotel, I would strongly recommend The Himalayan Hotel in Kalimpong, particularly if you're staying only for one night. It was the residence of a Scotsman and, even today, is run by his descendants. Amazing views of the Himalayas and lots of old-world charm and character.

In Darjeeling the other two hotels in the same league as the Windamere would be the Mayfair and the Cedar Inn. Check if they have rooms.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Hey MR,

I disagree with you regarding the Cedar Inn and the Mayfair being in the same league as the Windamere. The Windamere is old school, dinner in formals and at 6 PM etc. You cant go about the Windamere in shorts and a tshirt. Compared to that, Cedar and and Mayfair are much more modern hotels.

I have stayed in the Cedar Inn and at the Windamere. The Windamere is a place I would saty once to see how it feels like. But if I had to travel frequently, I'd choose the Cedar Inn. The Windamere is exorbitant, price wise.

Hey next time you go to Darjeeling, look me up. I go there often on business. :)

Dubai
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Thanks.

Is the suggested Mainak Hotel in NJP or Siliguri?

If its in Siliguri, i need to travel back the next day to NJP to catch the toy train, right?

By the way does the toy train operate twice from NJP daily....is the timings 7.15am and 9.00am?

How far can i go to the north of sikkim and come back to gangtok the same day?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Hey brave1,

Forgot you are in Sonar Bangla....

I have been to Darjeeling several times and have relatives who live there. I said the other two were in the same league,not of the same genre. You are right about the genres being different.

Have you stayed at the Himalayan in Kalimpong?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Nope, stayed at the Silver Oaks in Kalimpong.

Don;t think I'll go back to Kalimpong though, its one of those places which you do once and thats it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Agree with you totally, brave1, although I will go again since have people there.

The Teesta river in full flow is a sight to behold, isn't it?

Dubai
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

hey guys....i dropped the windamere! its got charm but..........!

Elgin is available for 6K and Mayfair for 8k.

Which one shud i go for? here i'm not putting money first.

any idea if a toy train is operating from NJP at 7.15am?

Thanks.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Elgin and Mayfair are both good hotels, so is Cedar Inn if you are prepared to walk a bit uphill for 10 min from the Mall.

You can stay at any of them, all of them are modern, has good service, good food.

If you can book the Sinclairs at Siliguri, do it. I never stayed at the Mainak, I'm not even sure if its still there or how it is now.

I am not sure about toy train timings, but there was a website somewhere, if you can Google it.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
998 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Darjeeling - Some specific Queries.

Hi BonyGeorge,

Just to add a few things to what our vastly experienced friends have already advised you with.

Both the hotels recommended by Brave1 are in Siliguri - however the distance to NJP is just about 12 kms, and rickshaws are available as cheap as Rs 30/-.

Taking the toy train from NJP To Darjeeling is not always recommended because the trains often remain cancelled - usually the one at 9.00am is the only one that operates. Also it takes more than 12 hours to reach Darj -- which means that you are fully exhausted by the time you reach there. Also one full day is lost. My advise would be to travel upto Kurseong ( approx 65 kms from NJP) in the morning and utilise the day to visit the place including the magnificient tea estates ( namely Makaibari) and spend the night there. Catch the early morning steam engine toy train the next morning at 6.00am and arrive at Darjeeling by 8.30am -- which means that you hv had your toytrain ride and also have the whole of the day for other activities.

There is no chance to undertake a tour of North Sikkim and return the same night. It is atleast 8 hours each way and you need to spend a night at Lachung - visit Yumthang on the second day morning and arrive at Gantok on the second day evening.

If you are looking for a quiet place in Gangtok, Mintokling is my choice. It is located higher up in the mountains, with magnificient views of the Himalayas - and away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You need to take a cab to reach this place, but then the taxi rates are the flat rates within the city of Gangtok.