We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Chennai

Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
3 days in Chennai

I will be in Chennai on business in December and hope to arrive 2-3 days early. I would welcome suggestions on what to see and do. I have never been to India before.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Chennai

Keep a traditional South Indian vegetarian meal at a place like Saravana Bhavan on your list of things to do. ( Having visited Ireland a couple of times, I know this may not quite be your cup of tea!)

A lot of high quality leather goods are exported from Chennai, if you would like to buy a portfolio bag or travel bag, or jacket you should get excellent deals. ( I can recommend one company, have no relationship with them but have bought from them many times- their website is www.leatherhunte.com).

What you can do also depends a bit on your taste. If you indicate some areas of interest it is easier to suggest things to do. For example there is an excellent snake park and crocodile park which is a bit out of town, worth a visit.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Chennai

Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram) for ancient architecture on the seashore.

Pondy Bazaar (for shady (shade from the heat I mean) fun shopping like locals.

Marina beach- U have to atleast drive by it to admire its breadth and length. But u have to look past the trash though :-( There are sections which are bustling with different kinds of locals (Marina - General crowd, Besant nagar - young crowd)

Adayar banyan Tree. (Theosophical society)

Valluvar Kottam (Hit or miss - more modern acchitecture)

Guindy Park, SNake Park ( just ok .. lots of big trees, otherwise mostly suited for young kids)

Lots of temples - Kabalishwaran temple in Mylapore (Cultural Center of Chennai), Ashta Lakshmi Temple in Besant Nagar along the seashores and many more.

Santhome church by the beach.

Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Chennai

Thanks for suggestions and sorry for not replying sooner - I've been off the air.

Can I get to the places mentioned by public transport ? You mention "driving " by the beach.

I am interested in all kinds of culture, including vegetarian meals!

What will the weather be like? when I'm sightseeing I like to walk

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Chennai

public transport is available to ALL places mentioned. But to save yourself of the hassle, I would suggest hiring a taxi with a driver or auto rickshaw for the day. WE now also have call taxis which operate from airports, railway stations and can also be called for from anywhere in Chennai and they r preferable since the rates are fixed. WHichever means of transportation, they will turn out to be ecnomical for anyone with foreign currency.

Walking explorations are best in the Marina Beach. Mamallapuram may also provide u the opportunity to walk around all the ruins. Shopping is best done on foot in Pondy Bazaar.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Chennai

For meals, u should try Saravana Bhavan which has many branches (locations) in CHennai, and actually many more too many to be listed.

U should also go to Sri Krishna Sweets/Adyar Ananda Bhavan/Grand Sweets for various snacks, sweets, nibbles.

Then u do have pizza hut, 1/2mexican restaurant, numerous coffee shops, even subway, mcdonalds etc.

Try if this website gives u info.

chennaionline.com

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Chennai

u asked about weather. December will be beautiful weather especailly the latter half. The first half MIGHT see some rain.

Chennai
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Chennai

You are welcome to stay with us as a paying guest.. We have entertained guests from UK, USA and Australia. Let us know

your itinerary to suggest you places to see and enjoy the warmth of South Indian family .... send email to praba1946@gmail.com

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Chennai

If you'd like to do a walking exploration of Chennai, then don't miss a walk through Mylapore.

Mylapore is really the heart of Tamil culture, with its famous Kapaleeswar Temple and the Brahmin tank area and the bazaars.

If you don't mind paying for a local expert, then you can take a guide who will tell you the history and show you the little things that make the difference. For example, there is a legend from the tales of Shiva about the Mylapore temple itself and how the area came to be called named. The temple architecture is worth understanding as well. There is an old-style house there, where four generations of the family live, where they will allow visitors. It's pretty neat.

I know a company for local sightseeing which has knowledgeable guides. If you want a phone number, let me know, I will post it here. Or write to me deepakrish@hotmail.com

- Deepa

9. Re: 3 days in Chennai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:51 am, November 19, 2006
10. Re: 3 days in Chennai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 25, 2009