We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

Hi,

I am booking a flight from Chennai to San Francisco.

Which flight is better ? Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

via Dubai or via Hongkong ?

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

Between the two, Cathay via Hongkong is ideal if you are traveling out anywhere to the west coast.

regards

Rajan

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
579 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

While British Airways is the cheapest, I would definitely choose Cathay over Emirates.

Cathay takes less time & is also marginally cheaper than Emirates.

I would also consider Cathay's service to be better than that of Emirates and far, far superior to that of British Airways.

Chennai
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

While AIR CANADA is cheaper but the travel time is 29 hours ,so better go with CATHAY PACIFIC

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
579 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

It turns out that Singapore Airlines is the cheapest at roughly 43K, if you are flying on 1st November.

But, Singapore Airlines takes 34 hours to do the journey, halting at Singapore and Hong Kong enroute to San Francisco.

Cathay costs 47K but takes only 20 hours, 20 minutes, halting only at Hong Kong enroute to San Francisco.

Cheers,

Carlos.

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

I have traveled a number of times between BLR and SFO on either airline. Emirates has fantastic planes while Cathay has much better service. Food is decent in both with Emirates being slightly ahead. But Emirates has a 16-hour leg from Dubai to SFO while the longest you will realistically fly on Cathay is the 12-13 hr leg from SFO to Hong Kong, which is why I personally prefer Cathay. But their flight to SFO from HKG tends to be delayed more often than not while Emirates to usually on schedule.

Another consideration is if you want to shop at Dubai or not.

regards

Sree

OpenWinds | www.openwinds.com

Edited: 2:20 am, September 16, 2013
6. Re: Chennai to San Francisco Emirates or Cathay Pacific ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 18, 2014