We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

I'm spending a week in Chennai in a few months time and was wondering how the cost of living is over there?

How much for a meal in an upscale restaurant, price of beer / champagne and is there anywhere that does designer clothing at discounted prices?

First time visiting India on business and i'll have 3 days free to myself.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

hi

meals at around rs.120 special dosa at rs.50

no idea of beer cost

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

It depends upon where you eat or drink really..there is a wide range of restaurants/cuisine/pubs/bars around.

Meal in upscale restaurants could cost you $15-20. The really high end places could cost you about $50 - 60. A beer would cost you about $2-5. Champagne is usually served by the bottle and not by glass and it can range from $150-300 per bottle. You get designer clothing at Express Avenue Mall & at many boutiques on Khader Nawaz Khan road...these are not discount shops or seconds...prices may be cheaper than Hong Kong etc.

If you want to relax in a nice beach resort at Chennai, which has upscale restaurants/Bar, you may checkout Fishermans cove, Vivanta by Taj. It is about 40 KMs from centre of the city.You can also visit Pondicherry, which is about 130 Km from Chennai, two and half hour drive. It was a french settlement once, and has good food & drinks at cheaper costs and you can even stay in some vintage french villa, apart from standard hotels.

Ina few months, Chennai will be sweltering, you may just want to cool off at Ooty/Kodaikanal, which are hill stations.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

$15 - $20 sounds good for a decent meal. Although I think i'll pass on the champagne at $300 a bottle.

I've noticed there are a few designer shops such as Burberry and Louis Vuitton but prices are meant to be up to 40% higher than EU prices is this true?

Thanks for your help.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
114 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

There is a high import duty on designer items imported to India, hence rates could be higher than EU. But off-season sale windows provide a reasonable bargain. Best bet is to have a look at the shops, compare prices and decide. The funny part is many of these high street designer goods are manufactured at India as contract manufacturing, shipped abroad and imported back to India with added import duties and profit margins of the entire supply chain and finally put for sale at crazy prices in chic shops. I guess thats a happy arrangment for the entire supply chain except for the customer !

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

Hi...

A meal at an upscale restaurant with beverages would cost around INR 2000 for 2 people. The cost of champange would depend on the brand you are looking at, but, should start from INR 2500 for a decent stuff, again depends on the place where you are ordering it. Most major brands are available in Chennai and maybe the cost would be slightly higher comparing to EU prices as anything EU is a little expensive here.

Regards

Prasanna

6. Re: A week in Chennai, how much money do I bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 28, 2014