We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
847 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

hi im planning to travel to thirupathi in jan 2013 with my 3 kids. firstly im confused abt thirupathi. when i google up abt it it also shows thirumalai. is thirupathi and thirumal the same.

im planning to stay at chennai for 4-5 days and travel to thirupathi and come back within 1 day. i heard there is lodging at thirupathi but would prefer to not stay there as i heard it can be very dirty. furthermore my dad who has parkinsons will be in chennai and we wnt be bringing him to thirupathi as he wnt be able to walk much. so we will beleaving him at a chennai hotel with sumone which is why we would rather go thirupathi and come back within the same day as i dnt want to leave my dad alone for so long. so is it possible to go thirupathi and come back on the same day.

also is there any good specific day to visit thirupathi which is special.and what time should we be there. how many hours is it to thirupathi if we were to go by car.

also i heard we can buy sum kind of special pass for NRIs that makes us not queue too long to see the god. i totally dnt mind standing for hours and queuing if i dnt have kids with me. however i have 3 kids the youngest being 3 months so it would be great if i dnt have to queue too long.

and can sumone advise me on the whole process of doing prayers and balding the kids there.first time there. tks

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

Hi MAHA24,

Tirupathi is the city where trains buses and even flight reaches people from outside Tirumala is a hill station located very near to tirpathi and temple you are going to visit is located at Tirumala

One day package available from chennai for details visit this link http://www.sribalajitravel.com/

Also visit these useful web link to know more about tirumala dharshan http://www.tirupatibalajidarshan.com/

http://www.ttdsevaonline.com/

http://www.tirumala.org/Advance%20Booking.htm

walking with 3 kids that too with 3 month old baby at congested queue dharsan will be hectic

balding done there at free of cost just inquire at the tour package operator

feel free to inquire more here

regards,

Alen_10

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

Let us try to address your queries one by one.

1. Tirupati and Tirumala are not the same, first one is at lower level and second one is the up hill temple. However colloquially people tend to misuse Tirupati to mean the up hill, which is incorrect.

2. There are good decent accommodations available at lower and upper levels, you need to book in advance, or try to get hold of it while you are there.

3. Can you make an attempt to take your father to the temple? You will do him a great service. They do have timings (one at 10 am and other at 2 pm I think) for special entrance for physically challenged persons. They provide assistance.

4. With Sri Balaji, all days are special. if you happen to go there before Jan 14, you are visiting during the very holy and special month (Dhanur month or Margazhi month as it is known). During this entire month (from Dec 15-Jan 13) there are special aradhana to the Lord especially during early morning hours.

Saturdays are generally known to be associated with Sri Venkateswara. But it is also the most crowded day of the week, along with Sunday being the week end.

If you go on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, you have a better chance of getting a few yards closer to the sanctum sanctorum, than other days when you will be directed out at the dwara palaka gate itself.

5. The NRI system is no longer available. However you have the chance to get 'Special Darshan' or 'VIP Darshan' if the tickets are available (price range from Rs. 300 to 500 each). If you can also book tickets for a Seva you can get in quicker.

6. Distance by road is only 160 km, but due to bad road conditions, the journey may take 5 hours one way.

7. There are special areas 'Ghats' where one could do the tonsuring. You are expected to take a complete bath after tonsuring, before you get into temple. Many persons take a holy dip in the temple tank adjacent to the temple. Be careful with the children.

You can send me a pm if you have any further specific question or concern.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Tirupati
Tirupati
Chittoor District, India
SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

hi vasu8 tks so much for ur reply. dnt think bringing my dad there is an option at all as he walks really slow and cnt walk much as he keeps falling. Already bringing 3 kids aged 4 years old, 3 years old and 3 month sold is going to be a challenge as it is. Thus we are planning to leave my ad in chennai hotel where we will be staying with sumone to help and go to thirupahti.

As its my first time there, im not sure how it works. I plan to have my shower in chennai hotel and then straigh away drive to thirupathi and do whatever prayers to be done and bald the kids and drive back. Which is why i dont want to stay at thirupathi hotel. Is that possible.And im also sum sort of a clenliness freak and cnt really use the toilet elsewhere. sorry i know i sound fussy but im just like that which is why i want to avoid staying at any other hotel if possible.

And where and how do i purchase the vip darshan, special darshan and seva. which would you suggest i get out of these 3 to get faster access.And whats a seva. My main thing is to see the god and bald. What else can i or should i do there which is good. Also i will be in chennai from tuesday to following monday. So which day would u advice me is the best to visit thirupathi. tks

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

Suggest you go on Wednesday, midweek + other thing about closer look at Sri Venkateswara Moolavar. Start very early in the morning, since it is a long drive through difficult roads.

You have to get tickets at the temple complex, otherwise try at TTD office in T Nagar Venkatanarayana Road, you may be lucky sometimes. There is no guarantee of faster access with any seva, because the place is always croweded, and unpredictable. Be prepared to buy the Oonjal Seva (afternoon) or Sahasra Deepalankara Seva (evening), which have better probability of being available at the Temple complex when you go. Otherwise try to reach out to anyone at Tirumala or Tirupati who can help out.

In addition, APSRTC runs daily buses from Chennai and they sometimes include temple darshan also in their package. And there are private tour operators who arrange car and seva - this may be a good option for you. If you need this contact please send me a pm. There are also other ways, but it is not right to mention in this forum.

Usually devoees who go to Tirumala do not fail to take the darshan of Ari Alamelu Managa Thayar at Tirupati (the town downhill), as also Sri Govindarajar Swami temple. One day trip will be very hectic, you will begin at 4 am and get back late at night. So make proper arrangements for your father.

Mentioned in this post
Tirupati
Tirupati
Chittoor District, India
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai District, India
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

You did not mention your intended dates of visit. Be aware of the Pongal holidays when the crowd will be heavy.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

Dont mistake visiting the place on Jan 25,26,27,28 as its a National Holiday followed by Weekend so stay away on these days, The simple answer is avoid Weekends & Holidays. Book the time slot in advance with Sudharshan Ticket from www.ttdsevaonline.com

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

looking at Jan 29 or early feb. now the plan is I might not even bring my parents to India. coz my youngest is 3 months old and alot of people advising me against bringing her coz of her age as she might fall ill coz of the crowd. any advise on that? I prayed for my eldest who is 4 years old. so I'm thinking of not bringing my 2nd child who is 2 years old and 3 months. the reason for bringing my parents and helper is so that they can help out wit my 3 kids. but if I bring just my eldest 2 only my husband and I will go.

as for the seva I oredi checked online and all are full for Jan and feb. I had frends who went in nov and they said they could only get in faster coz of Sevas.

Mentioned in this post
SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

tried booking ticket online but all full for Jan and feb. and is what is the diff between seva and sufharshan?

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

u mentioned in ur post abt buying the ticket at the temple it self. but i heard from others its very difficult to get tcket there. so what if i were to go all the way there and am not able to get a ticket ito the temple. that is why i rather arrange everything here.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: chenna to thirupathi...pls help confused...1st time

As for Seva Tickets some specific tickets are sold online and they are released 90 days before, they are released exactly at midnight 12.15 and the main seva tickets are sold out in 10 minutes and the rest of them in next few days.

Sudharshan is basically a time slot you are alloted and you can enter the Q in the specific time slot and once you enter you should be able to complete in 60 to 90 minutes normally, and if in weekends it may take upto 2 hrs, and if you go in the public holidays it may take 3-4 hrs (like the days i had mentioned.)

To make things simple you are left with only option of booking a time slot from the available dates/time online and thats the only possible advance thing you can do, i dont think you can get accommodation online as well as it would be sold out atleast a month in advance.