We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress & weather in Chennai

Which Chennai (Madras) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
10 posts
Save Topic
Dress & weather in Chennai

Hello everyone,

Have questions about the weather and how to dress for it in late January-early February in Chennai. We will be there for three weeks, staying in the Anna Nagar area. I heard it will be hot and humid, although not as hot as in the summer. (I can only imagine...) Does it rain a lot in the winter?

Also, any advice on how women foreigners should dress and conduct themselves in Chennai? One of my friends who was in Tamil Nadu many years ago told me some interesting stories...

Thanks!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

I am just back from Chennai and the weather is as good as it can be, cool and not humid. In Jan/Feb also it will be pleasant since it is the winter season (by Chennai standards!). There will be no rain in Jan/Feb.

In general, modesty in dressing is a good idea, although people will make allowances for you. That means avoiding halter necks, spaghetti straps, plunging necklines, short skirts etc. Yuo can wear pretty much "normal" clothes - trousers, t-shirts, blouses, regular skirts, capri pants and longish shorts.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

Hi Deepa

I have studied your previous posts on dress and they have been very helpful. I think I have enough clothes to manage but if I find I have misjudged I plan a trip to Fabindia. I am assuming the clothes on their website are all reasonably safe for a trip to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. I will take a shawl to cover my arms and shoulders in the temples if necessary. My one question is "is Fabindia a fixed price store? As a Brit I have no idea how to bargain" Thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

Yes fixed price, and guess what, they also have a nice chart on the wall where sizes are explained so you can find your correct size. It is a happy shopping experience, honestly, the sheer beauty of the fabrics and the prints is enough to send me into a dizzy tailspin :)

Glad you found my posts useful!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

Salwar kameezes are a good choice for anywhere in India! I wrote an interesting tidbit on my blog about how (and why!) the salwar kameez has taken the Indian market by storm, maybe you'd like to read it:

…blogspot.com/2007/07/and-winner-is.html

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

great- will definitely visit. I am quite tall in the UK and suspect full length trousers will be a bit short for me. Have mapped two Fabindias on arrival and one on departure for last minute purchases

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

I can tell you that sarees completely baffle me. I bought one and dowloaded instructions and I do not know how Indian ladies manage to look so elegant. A friend of mine married an Indian guy and after years of instruction from his family looks great in her saree but she tells me that she will only wear one when she doesn't have to move too much. Western people however know exactly what to do with a salwar kameez.

7. Re: Dress & weather in Chennai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 11, 2009