We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Which Jaipur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Hello,

I would like to take a trip to Rajasthan, including Jaipur, that would focus on the art of textile printing. I understand there is a museum dedicated to hand printing in Jaipur. I am also interested in the village of Bagru and understand there are block printing presentations and workshops available. I would also like to purchase fairly large quantities of block printed fabric to send back to the US. Possibly also buy some of the wooden printing blocks. Is there a tour company that might focus on this subject? I would like to have a trip designed for me but I am also very willing to travel with a small group interested in same subject. My 24 yr old daughter will be traveling with me (I am 60 yrs old). I'm afraid we do like to be comfortable…doesn't have to be luxury but to just have the confidence that everything will be safe and secure and well arranged. Any advice or tour group recommendations? I tried finding this with the search feature but could not.

1. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, May 05, 2014
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Hi,

There is no particular Travel Agency for such kind of tours. Most of the agencies would give you a package that can be customised according to your requirements.

The best way of doing such trip would be to hire a car and make sure that your driver is knowledgeable about the Jaipur and surrounding areas. You can also make a list of the places you would be visiting,I am sure you would find many names engaged in block printing.

Thanks

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Hi,

There is no particular Travel Agency for such kind of tours. Most of the agencies would give you a package that can be customised according to your requirements.

The best way of doing such trip would be to hire a car and make sure that your driver is knowledgeable about the Jaipur and surrounding areas. You can also make a list of the places you would be visiting,I am sure you would find many names engaged in block printing.

Thanks

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Hi

Around Jaipur two village as famous for hand block printing. One is Bagru 30 kilometres and second is Sanganer near airport.

Bagru print is much higher quality.

Just make your list as per intersected place for shops , every one well known about fabric as you intersected.

There is no problem at all for safety reason because Jaipur is much safe city.

Enjoy your tour in colorful state.

Thanks and regards

5. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, March 25, 2014
Jaipur
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Hello Lady,

You should browse Anokhi website and they have lot of information about Jaipur: www.anokhi.com/anokhi/visitingjaipur.html

Anokhi has its shop and also a museum in Jaipur. Also Jaigarh fort is coming up with a Textile museum in few months.

Regards

DD

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

We visited the Anokhi museum in Jaipur in November. They have a nice selection of exhibits, from various techniques of printing to what different patterns signify (for example, this pattern would be worn by a widow, while that would be worn by a young woman looking to marry.) Their shop at the museum was tiny, and we were disappointed at the lack of selection. The museum itself, though, was one of our favorite attractions in Jaipur.

Many stores in Jaipur, and even in Delhi, had wooden printing blocks for sale. We bought quite a few small ones and used them to make Christmas cards. At another Anokhi shop we bought far more finished goods than we'd planned, mens' shirts for me as well as dresses and blouses for my wife, and more dozens of scarves to be given as gifts. Yards of block-printed fabric were for sale at markets throughout Jaipur, and, to a lesser extent, Delhi. Again, we'd intended to bring some home with us, but ended up buying mostly finished goods instead.

Unfortunately, our experience in India was that our day guides had little interest in taking us to see the Anokhi museum or a paper factory. While visiting India, we hired three day guides, and all three expected us to conform our tours to their expectations. I would advise you to devise your Jaipur itinerary yourself. When we went to the Amber fort, there were thousands of people. We were the only people at the Anokhi museum at that moment, the first tourists at the paper factory in weeks. So I can't fault our guide for reciting all the details about who built what part of the fort in which year and who his children were, but sitting in the car while we visited the Anokhi museum.

Good luck! Two of our most treasured souvenirs are a block-printed handkerchief our ten-year old son made at the Anokhi museum, and the wooden printing block the gentleman from Anokhi carved in front of us and then presented to my son as a gift.

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Hi all,

This topic seems to match my needs. I am looking to procure block printed / hand woven Cotten finished garments at wholesale price. And the products I have in mind are similar to those sold by Anokhi. However anokhi doesn't do wholesale so I want to know where else can I buy similar products at good quality for wholesale. I am a retailer so can't afford to buy at retail prices.

Santa Rosa...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

I'm taking such a tour in February next year and found mine just by searching on google for textile tours to India. There are many to choose from. I'm new to this community so I don't think I'm supposed to give a direct referral.

Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Textile shopping and printing tour guide

Block painting places in and around Jaipur are pretty famous. There is another textile hub in the town of Bhilwara ( mid way between Jaipur and Udaipur) , which you can explore. A customized private tour will take care of your needs. It allows you time, flexibility and cost advantages that perhaps a group tour will not.

That been said there is a person I am aware of who conducts some textile based group tours from usa.

You might wanna check her site for more info:

http://www.louisesindia.com/