We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

Which Jaipur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
763 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

Hi,

If u r coming to visit india [ north india ] from europe and from other part of india.you can be welcomed by any tout,tourist cheater at Delhi air-port and you can be cheat by thease kind of peoplle and may also by taxi-car drivers.they will and they can try and do best to change all ur basic tour and tour plan which u make by ur self.you can be bring any tourist information centre or any travel agency which can be say ur travel company / hotel send us.and all ur plan hotel i change now and we have to do all ur travel plan now new.

so be carefull about all thease kind of sitution.its very few to-day cos of internet,but its strill exist.

here look this couple from Belgium which cheated by this kind of peoplle just 5-6 days before.this couple is still in Rajasthan! very bad for all travel community.we can see mail of this people which just send this morning.

To: <babahavelijaipur@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, 14 October 2012 9:37 AM

Subject: Re: Please confirm: modified reservation! (487592136, Saturday, 13 October 12)

Hi,

thanks for your kindly email, I history is the following: I was trapped in a scam upon my arrival to india by the company 'Delhi travel services and transportation'. they told me my first hotel in delhi cancelled my reservation and they send my by taxi to Jaipur. Also they supposedly called you to cancel the reservation, they paid me back also half of my reservation with you.

Sorry but I arrived to India at 4 in the morning i was confused and i assumed everything was correct.

sorry for the inconvenience,

Alberto

+32 487943015

i personally suggest this couple to go in police when u get back delhi,and make there ur complaint.and also share all ur this experience on internet travel sites.so other traveller can be saved by this kind of crazy people at delhi air-port.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
690 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

I think the local hotels must call them, email them and explain the situation. And we should add the topic scams on the main page of delhi, jaipur and notify all future travellers about this kind of incidents.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

it was hapans year in beck with some of my friends ,they were cancled there old trip booked and sell them another trip for 1200 us doller for one week car ,when they got in jaisalmer they met other tourist and talk to them and found that they were cheated .

Tourist also should care themself and should trust these kind people .

The touts are always use new ideas .

I like to request all to stop this kind of scam and should be complain in police .

But we also know how is indian police .

if this is continews ...one tourisem finish .

I have read this kind in past and people advise that tourist should read books , blogs ,enternet sites , bla bla ...but when there some thin new like this then ???????

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

Not understanding why Delhi airport is being blamed??

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

@ vijaygoutam

Thanks for posting here in TA.

@saptrishi,

It is international airport and touts have lots of way for activities to cheat the first time arrived tourist .

India
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

sir i am totally agree with you , but i would like to say if toursit will complain about this police , our police will take action against of this .

Second these toursit who come to visit india or any other part of world ,if they dnt go through proper channel , i mean these day toursit book their car directly by driver without konwing him , only for saving of money ,if they come through agent they dnt face that kind of problem and agent are there to help them.

I would only like to say to toursit by mean of this book your tour through good travel agent and dnt book your tour through driver etc.

Only travel agent make your tour memorable tour

thansk nimbera

Wasaga Beach, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

We arrived at Delhi airport, January this year very early in the morning. Someone was holding a sign with our name, when we were in their car & realized we were not heading to Agra & going to old quarters of Delhi we asked our driver where he was taking us. He said to where we booked our room, we told him it was in Agra as he pulled over & told us to go down this alley way to talk to owner of hotel. We were very nervous & knew something was wrong. We spoke to the owner, he said we had a room booked & sure enough there was our name in his book. I pulled out my contact information for the room we did in fact book & asked for them to call the number I had. The phone call was made to someone he knew, trying to make it look as if it was the owner of the place we booked. The man on the phone was rude with us, demanded we pay for our room & driver. I asked to make a call again watching this time that the correct number was dialed....finally the gentleman we booked with, he said we were scammed & to wait he would send his driver which was at the airport looking for us. We were out of pocket for a driver & room we never booked as they demanded money from us & would not let us leave, blocking the door of entry. We handed over the money...who was going to save us at this point.

We travelled 6 provinces; Agra, Varanasi, Aurungabad, Goa area, Kerala area & basically the whole west coast from Goa to Trivandrum. Our trip in India was very difficult as we felt we were always getting ripped off, mistreated, misled. On another note, food was excellent & Ellora Caves was our highlight. Our rickshaw driver in Agra was the most genuine, honest person we met, always making sure we weren't getting ripped off. We have no regrets going to India, would never tell people to not go & visit the country but we would never choose to return. We've been to many other countries which were far more welcoming of us.

We even sent home a package in North Cliff, Varkala, Kerala which arrived two times longer than said with 90% of our purchases taken out of the package...the original packaging which we saw being sewn & wrapped was not what had arrived at our door. Much more happened in different areas but we would be writing a short novel if we were to post it all.

I'm sorry that India left this kind of memory for us.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

There are enough legal options available for all things at the airport. Bus taxi hotel tours etc. Also there is an active mechanism to catch touts. If people close their eyes walk past signage past all legit options and straight into the arms of the touts not much the airport can do. Also why not approach a helpdesk when they are available? It is the urge to save a few rupees that leads to being scammed.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

You should have gone to the cops. How did they have a sign in your name? Your hotel owner would have passed on your details. There is no other way.

mumbai
Level Contributor
255 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

Some precautions that treavellers need to take

1. Always call hotels directly to reconfirm bookings done through agents

2. Always insist on vehicle number, model, driver name and contact number. Reconfirm this before arriving

3. Never fall for very cheap rates. (you can actually make ou that something is incorrect)

4. Avoid last minute bookings (you will definitely miss something)

milma

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful Travelers !! still scams exist at Delhi airport..

A few days ago I had to stay one night in Delhi between flights. As I exited the airport, I went to the counter of Meru-taxi's. At the counter, someone asked me where I wanted to go-my B&B, Thikana-, and gave me a price of 2895 INR!! As this is not the first time I take a taxi to Thikana and know the price to be around 400 Rupee's, I asked if he really thought I was a first-timer and shame on him trying to scam me. As I saw a tourist-police car just close-by, I went up to them, and they started to investigate. Meanwhile I took a real Meru-cab from the counter, and paid by meter, 370 Rupee's.

It is very difficult to notice these scams. I thought I would do without them. I understand that especially first-timers will have a very hard time in seeing what is real and what is a scam. Really a shame for the place.

Edited: 1:04 am, October 15, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Jaipur