We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diwali - what to expect

Which Jaipur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Diwali - what to expect

I've just realised we will be in Jaipur on the 17th October whuch is the Diwali festival. We had planned on visiting the Palace of winds and the Amber fort on that day. Will they be closed and what should we expect that day. Is there anything special in the evening, somwhere we should go?

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diwali - what to expect

Most of the good hotels organise a show of fireworks for their guests at every place.You may feel that you are in war zone because all around in the city people will be bursting crackers,firing rockets etc.Most of the buildings are decorated with colourful lights.

deepak.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diwali - what to expect

Amer Fort will be open during the day.What you should definitely do is to watch fireworks in the evening (at your hotel or with a local family) and then go for a drive or walk in the old city. All of Jaipur turns up to see the city bedecked in lights. There is an elaborate one-way traffic plan in place so the traffic keeps moving. If you walk then get dropped at Choti Chaaupar and walk to Badi Chaupar and then thru Johari Bazaar (where LMB Hotel is the highlight). Each bazaar tries to out do the others as there is a competition and winners are announced by the municipal corporation. The lights are on a day or two before Diwali and at least one day after (the bazaar associations have to pay for the electricity bills!!).

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diwali - what to expect

I made a mistake about Amber fort, we will be visiting it the next morning. We had the day planned like this, walk from Chandpole bazaar along to Tripolia, then visit the City Palace , Jantar Mantar, then Hawa Mahal before visiting the bazaars in the evening.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the bazaars all dressed up for the festival and I'm glad we'll be there to see it all.

Will the other part of the itinerary be possible, do you know if they'll be open on this day?

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diwali - what to expect

All monuments stay open so dont worry..Diwali is the festival of the goddess of wealth.. you want the goddess to come into your home & your business..you dont shut down on Diwali!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diwali - what to expect

Oh that's good I'm really looking forward to it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diwali - what to expect

The bazaars will be very crowded during the pre-Diwali period, and also on the day of Diwali. On Dhanteras, people buy utensils and jewellery.

This is a major period for gifting, so there will be many different sort of gifts for sale. People buy large quantities of sweets, dry fruits, they clean their homes, the women draw auspicious rangoli designs, they light lamps and everyone bursts firecrackers.

It is a tradition to gamble during Diwali (earlier it used to be dice, these day we play poker / cards).

People visit neighbours and friends and exchange sweets and savouries. Trading families also do a chopdi-pujan, or worship of the accounting books/ledgers.

Workers get Diwali bonuses every year. Everyone wears new clothes. Many people paint their homes. Overall, this a festival of prosperity and plenty, with much spending. Diwali is also called Deepavali (I was born on this day, hence my name).

- Deepa

7. Re: Diwali - what to expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, March 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Jaipur