We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Clothes

Which Jaipur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Clothes

On our first day in India, which is in Jaipur, we want to buy a few local clothes to wear on our trip. My wife would like two or three Salwar Kameez and I would like a Kurta or two.

On our first day, we intend to do a walking tour round the old city, which will include the markets. Is this a good place to buy clothes or are we better going to somewhere like Fabindia? Is the quality at somewhere like Fabindia, much better than things we will find in the market?

Does the Government Store (whose name I cannot remember at the moment) sell clothing?

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Clothes

jaipur is good place to buy clothes. if you are having local guide, he may know a better and not touristic shop where you can buy allready made or if you are staying couple of days they may can tailore for your best fits.

light cotton would do good for July-Agust.

Govt. stores? i guess you are talking about KHADI.

http://www.kvic.org.in/v4/homepage.asp

If you are intresting to buy riding pants Jodhpur is known for best riding trousers named too Jodhpur's!

cheers.

Guidedesert.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Clothes

I know that there is an Anokhi store in jaipur, since Anokhi is a Rajasthani brand. I like their clothes in Mumbai. Very elegant, pretty and light and cool. Your wife will feel well dressed in their clothes. It may not be the cheapest around but their clothes IMO are reasonable and well worth the money. Not tourist tat.

Perhaps someone in Jaipur like np can direct you to the Anokhi store. Their contacts maybe on the web too.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Clothes

Go to Anokhi, Soma, Fab India or Satguru.

Anokhi has clothes that are Indian looking but also more adapted to our western tastes in colors.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Clothes

The state emporium is Rajasthali. I have never been impressed with clothing sold in Rajasthali, although the decorative items and handicrafts are nice.

Anokhi offers Western cuts with Indian prints, but they also have kurtas. I have always found the range on offer limited.

The Anokhi shop in Jaipur is here:

2nd Floor KK Square,

Above "Crosswords Bookstore"

C-11 Prithviraj Road, C-Scheme,

Jaipur - 302005

Tel. 0141 4007244, 45

You will need transport to get there, it is not in the old city. They also have a Museum near Amer.

http://www.anokhi.com/anokhi/

Soma is here:

http://www.somashop.com/

5 Jacob Road

Civil Lines

Jaipur 302 006

+91 141 2222778

(also outside the old city).

Soma also has a Westernised sense of colours and cuts. I do not like their Indian clothing, although I have bought some beautiful skirts and blouses from Soma.

For Indian clothing, FabIndia is a very good choice. There is a really wide selection of men's wear and women's wear in India cuts. The salwar kameez collection is very very good. The colour palette is rich and interesting. FabIndia is where Indian women shop. They also have a Western line, but it is their traditional kurtas, kameezes, churidars, and salwars that I love.

FabIndia

C-69, Sarojini Marg,

C-Scheme,

Jaipur - 302001

Ph: +91-141-5115991, 2

Email:jaipur@fabindia.net

Store Timings: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm; Open all days of the week

www.fabindia.com/storesfrontdetails.asp…

Within the old city, if you want to try the clothes, then there are small shops in Badi Chaupad. There is one big one (whose name I forget) - but to get there, you go to Hawa Mahal, and there is a Ganesh Mandir (temple) behind Hawa Mahal, and this shop is right behind Ganesh Mandir. Prices are reasonable.

- Deepa

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Clothes

Thanks all of you, very comprehensive. It sounds as if Fabindia meets our needs.

faridabad
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Clothes

Dear friend go to Badi Chupar u will get all short of items including fanciful indegeneous cloths .

7. Re: Buying Clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, July 17, 2009
8. Re: Buying Clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 13, 2010