We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Sydney
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Can anyone suggest the route we should take for the following starting in Mumbai.

- Agra to see the Taj Mahal (but only for the day)

- Jaipur for a couple of nights

- Udaipur for a couple of nights

- Back to Mumbai where we are staying with friends.

I am not sure of the logistics, is it better to fly from Mumbai to Udaipur, then make our way up to Jaipur (fly?), then to Agra by train(?), then fly back to Mumbai?

Or should we fly to Agra from Mumbai, then work our way down to Udaipur, then back to Mumbai?

Any information/help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, where would I get a train schedule from?

Thanks!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

I would do Mumbai-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-Delhi-Mumbai. I've added Delhi, since it has lots of sightseeing and things to do.

You can do Mumbai-Udaipur by flight. If you go to makemytrip.com, you'll find all the domestic carriers. Jet Airways, Kingfisher and Indian, all fly Mumbai Udaipur. The cost is something like INR 2750 plus INR 2000 in taxes and service fees. My husband went recently to Udaipur and stayed at the Udai Vilas and couldn't stop praising it. There is water in Lake Pichola this year.

Udaipur-Jaipur can be done by overnight train. Train 2966 Udaipur Jaipur Superfast Express leaves 21:40 and arrives jaipur 7:10. Of course, you can also fly.

Jaipur to Agra is a 5 hour drive, 6 if you stop at Fatehpur Sikri for sightseeing. I would do that by road. Stay overnight in Agra and see the Taj by dawn.

If you decide to go to Delhi, you can drive from Agra (4.5 hours) or take a train (2.5 hours, but also something like 4 hours end to end, if you include time to get to station and out of it and waiting for train and so on).

If you are skipping Delhi, then there is a Kingfisher flight from Agra to Mumbai that has one stop at Delhi.

I use this site for finding trains:

trainenquiry.com/TrainsBetwImpStation.aspx

- Deepa

Sydney
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Thanks so much, that is really helpful!

Do you think we should also visit Jodhpur? We only have 4 nights though, so it may be slightly rushed?

Thanks again!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Four days is a bit short, and I would strongly suggest you enjoy the places that you're visiting rather than get stressed travelling long distances.The distances in Rajasthan are long..

Deepa's suggestions are excellent, and you also can do it in reverse-starting from Delhi and moving towards Udaipur. The key thing though is to avoid backtracking..

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Yes I agree don't stress yourself out with travelling too much, unless you have a couple of days to spare?

Two more things I wanted to say: You know of course, that the Taj is closed on Fridays? Also, for the Taj by dawn thing, these days it is very cold, that means it can be misty.

- Deepa

Sydney
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Thanks Deepa. Do you know of a train from Udaipur to Agra?

M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
for Patna, Rajgir, Bodh Gaya, Hajipur, Gaya, Bihar
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

As per my view travel as per itinerary...

Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Udaipur and back Mumbai....As me recomending Delhi becoz Delhi itself has lot to see like Qutub Minar,Lotus temple,India Gate,Jantar-Mantar,Birla temple,Jama Masjid,Red fort and more ....can can see most of the places in one day with a cab booked tour...

It will save you time and can spend more time on you site seeing...

Thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

2316 ANANYA EXPRESS from Udaipur to Agra. Leaves Udaipur past midnight (00:30) arrives Agra 15:50, runs only on Mondays.

Since that is a really horrible travel time, perhaps this will work better for you:

2964 MEWAR EXPRESS, goes to Mathura from Udaipur. Mathura-Agra is not far, about an hour and 30 minutes. 2946 leaves Udaipur 18:35, arrives Mathura 04:15.

Another option, of course, is to go from Udaipur to Jaipur, and then Jaipur to Agra.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

Blimey, so thats what I found on the way to Agra.

I have your hip flask Major, only it appears a bit flattened after a few of those modern day lorries rolled over it. I'm mailing it to the Bombay Yatch club in a small envelope, be kind enough to reimburse me the postage.

9. Re: What route from Mumbai to Udaipur/Jaipur/Agra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Jaipur