We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

Hi all,

I will be coming to Mumbai around May for eight weeks. I am a university student coming to Mumbai for a volunteer project. I have lots of questions and I do not even know where to begin.

First and foremost, I am a female and twenty years old. My question is, how safe is Mumbai for a 20 year old female, who will be coming alone for this volunteer project.

My other question is… now obviously because I am coming for eight weeks, staying at a hotel will be way too expensive. Is there any other form of accommodation available in India. I am open to the whole pay guest idea, but obviously I want to be safe where I reside. I will have my laptop, and personal belongings that I would want to ensure are safe when I leave for work, wherever I live.

Which part of Mumbai is probably the safest for me to live for eight weeks?

What are some local places where I could meet other tourists? How late is it to be safe outside? What kind of clothing should one wear in Mumbai, without attracting too much attention? Is it okay to walk around in dresses in the summer?

Upon arrival in Mumbai, where can I get a sim card for my iPhone 5. How much does it cost approximately. What are some reliable and good network companies.

Also I am looking for a place to live where I will have reliable means of WIFI

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Edited: 1:16 pm, January 08, 2014
Mumbai
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

Hi , Your concern about safety is understandable but then Mumbai is safer then other Indian cities but not safe. You need to take due precautions. You may wear Salawar Kameez also called Punjabi Suit so that you are well covered when it comes to dressing norms. If you are white it can not be helped as people will gaze at you but then it happens to other tourists as well. Don't get cozy with strangers as there will be many volunteers to help you and may have ulterior motives. Could you pl. update about your volunteer project so that can suggest you suitable accommodation. Other issues are not difficult and can be resolved on your arrival as well but you should finalize the accommodation with in your budget.

Edited: 5:51 am, January 10, 2014
Mumbai
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

Mumbai is one of the safest Indian cities. Like any city though, you have to be careful.

Since (I presume), you are white, you will receive a lot of unwanted attention. Don't engage them. Try to limit traveling alone late at night by the many small lanes in the city. I would honestly suggest you stay in Bandra- it has a really nice bar culture and tons of expats. If you are only looking to meet tourists, stay in the Colaba area- this is a the backpacker center of the city. Again, I would say stay in Bandra. I go out with my friends (in bandra) and come home (also in Bandra) alone by the rickshaws (the three wheelers) at 1, 2 am and have no trouble at all.

You can maybe try couchsurfing but I doubt you will be able to live with anyone for 8 weeks. Another option, that I have used when I travel, is airbnb (dot) com.. check by location in the city.

Alternatively, since you have 8 weeks, you could opt to stay in one part of the city for a while and then maybe move to another.

Your host can let you know whether wifi will be available.

Mumbai is pretty open about people wearing what they want, so you needn't worry about wearing a salwar kameez only. If you dont wish to draw much attention to yourself, jeans/leggings and a t-shirt/top will be fine. Ah yes, you mention you are coming in May- it will be REALLY HOT- so maybe a maxi dress or anything linen.

I would suggest, instead of meeting only tourist, create an account on couchsurfing and meet up with the local (GIRLS- since a few of the boys can be a bit dodgy).

Vodafone is a decent service provider. You can get a sim card at any of the vodafone stores in the city once you land and are out of the airport. They do require a copy of your passport and some other docs for security purposes.

Hope this helps!

Vienna
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

Hi Volunteer,

Well come to this forum! It will be easier to suggest you a proper accommodation if you could disclose the location for volunteership in Mumbai and what are the timings. The NGO with whom you intend to volunteer may provide you accommodation as well. Just ask them. - Cheers.

4. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, February 23, 2014
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

being a student, check out accommodation option at YWCA hostel and dormitories.

you can easily get a sim card for your phone, however local address proof is required.

you can meet numerous similar foreigners in Mumbai in the popular cafes and restaurants in Colaba area.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

I have been to Mumbai 4 times by myself and it is safe. I certainly felt 100 times safer than what i did in Delhi.

I would recommend you choose accommodation close to where you volunteer as Mumbai traffic can mean it takes hours to get across town.

If you can get accommodation near Bandra then I recommend....lots of restaurants,shops and nightlife.

Yes you will get stared at but you get used to it after a while.

7. Re: 8 Weeks in Mumbai for Volunteer Project

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 25, 2015