We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

We (a family of four) will have to choose from to arrive at Mumbai (from Goa) at the domestic airport either at 16:10 or 18:15. Our international flight is scheduled to leave at 02:15 at the international airport. Will we have sufficient time to do some sightseeing, maybe Bandra West, Juhu Beach – suggestions? Or stay a little longer at a Goan beach? And, is there a left luggage office at the airport?

Thanks!

Mattias/Sweden

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

Hello Mattis,

If you reach by 16:10 you will have option to do some sight seeing in the day light or else later you can do it in the evening & night.

Can do the Juhu & Juhu Beach , Bandra & even Gateway of India, Fort Heritage , Marine Drive Chowpatty ( all in South Mumbai) even.Mumbai is spread out South to North & both Domestic & International airports are on the North.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

The domestic airport, to the best of my knowledge, does not have a left luggage facility.

One way to do it is to hire a chauffeured car large enough to hold your luggage (maybe an Innova) and retain it with you until it drops you to the international airport in the night. I suppose your reporting time will be something like 12.30 am, so if you land at 1610, you can quite easily get a driven tour of South Mumbai and possibly get dinner at a South Mumbai restaurant before you head back.

You are travelling anti-rush hour direction when you land, so it will take you less than an hour if you take the sea-link route. On return, 45-50 minutes should be enough at that time of night.

Go for it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

Not sure where the domestic airport is but keep in mind that the traffic is incredible (21,000,000 people in Mumbi). We had a 2:15 AM flight to Brussels and we had to leave the downtown hotel at 10:30 PM and did not have much spare time. Security and double and tripple verifications are also an issue as we had to line up for Security, passport verifications and other useless verifications at least 4 times if not 5.

Knowing what I know, I would take the later flight and not risk going downtown especially if you have to haul your luggage and manage children at the same time. PS there is no such thing as light traffic in Munbi

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

There is indeed a left luggage counter at the domestic terminal. It is the last counter after those for fleet taxis, on the right, just before the doors to the waiting area outside. However, I do not know whether it is manned 24 hours.

I have seen it this Monday.

Check www.csia.in and check the section for Facilities

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

csia.in/knowyourairport/leftluggagefacility.…

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

Travel time towards town has been getting gradually longer as offices shift further and further north. Moreover, roadworks have commenced at Kherwadi Jumction leading to an increase in travel time of about 15 minutes. Office goers will be returning home in large numbed after 6pm.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

@Bonjours, I don't understand what 4 or 5 passport verifications you talk about and how any of these are useless. (A) Your passport is simply viewed at the entry point to the airport along with your ticket to ascertain that you are a bonafide passenger: only passengers may enter the airport terminal for security reasons; (B) at check-in, the airline staff will ask to see your passport along with your ticket (as at most other international airports); and (C) Immigration will obviously check and stamp your passport (as at all international airports). Which of these, according to you, is useless? To ensure passenger safety, these steps are necessary. Of course, Mumbai has a lot of traffic, but matt is travelling northwards in an anti rush hour direction when they land. While leaving, if they leave eary (say 11 pm), they should be fine. There is a problem at one junction (Kherwadi) due to roadworks, but there is enough buffer.

Incidentally, your statistic is misleading. Although the entire metropolitan area of Greater Mumbai does indeed have a population of 18 million, the larger portion of this lives in the areas outside the main city or beyond where the airport is located. It's not as if ALL these people live in the island part of the city or between the airport and South Mumbai.

Edited: 9:09 pm, November 06, 2013
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

I too think that there is time for a drive around and quick dinner if they are sufficiently interested. However, it does have to be quick. Perhaps dinner at Pizza By The Bay.

http://www.traffline.com/home.php?City=mumbai

OP could check traffic on the highway at above website over the next few days at the appropriate time and decide

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

@Gathering, thanks for correcting me on the Left Luggage at the domestic airport - this must be a new facility that I was unaware of : it wasn't there before. However, if they do manage to leave their luggage there, then they should keep more time in hand to get it back because that would mean another trip to the domestic airport, parking and going through the process.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for things to do in Mumbai - short transit time

An alternative to the sealing route is Tulsi Pipe Road from Mahim Causeway and then the JJ Flyover so that they arrive straight at CST and then drive through the Fort area to Marine Drive, via all the sights which OP could search for on the forum and note. This route would avoid the Haji Ali bottleneck at that time of the day, but I am really wary about giving recommendations, since ther has been the odd occasion when there has been a total jam on JJ Flyover