We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Nobody wants to spend their jollies stuck in the little room - so what's the best way of avoiding such ...erm .. downstairs trauma?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Be careful about drinking water. It must always be bottled water purchased from good shops.

Use hand sanitiser often. Always remember to wash your hand properly before you sit for your lunch or eat any snacks.

Avoid street food. If it is unavoidable or if you succumb to the temptation, ensure that it is prepared in your presence and piping hot.

Remember stomach upset does not cause by infection alone. It also a result of indigestion caused by overeating or eating at wrong time at odd hours.

Sanjiv

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Reputed Bottled Water (Evian, Bisleri, Kinley, Aquafina) + Cooked Food always and no salads or anything raw.

This should surely help you avoud any upset tummys.

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've read all sorts of conflicting advice on this kind of thing. Street food good - street food bad, counterfeit bottled water etc. I don't want to spend the entire week eating Kit-Kats and bags of Monster Munch.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
422 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

U say dont eat anything raw. Does that include eating fruit like mangoes or banana?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
422 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

U say dont eat anything raw. Does that include eating fruit like mangoes or banana?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
67 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Hi.Avoid street food.Avoid precut fruits and salads.Stick to bottled water.Avoid spicy food.Carry medicines,toilet rolls,hand sanitiser and ORT powder (in case you have a sensitive stomach).Check the antecedents of the restaurants that you are eating in.

There are good restaurants in all the major towns and cities offering a variety of cuisine(including branded ones like Subway/KFC/McD/Domino/Pizza King) and the food is safe.Its customary in the better restaurants to ask the the client their choice of bottled or filtered water.

Have a safe trip.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Sutcak... a banana should be fine, as the peel protects it till its unpeeled. With regard to other fruits and salads, eat them only at places where you are very very very sure that they've been washed properly.

RoyalOperaMouse... There are so many options for good authentic local cuisine in high-end and mid-level restaurants that you won't be missing out too much if you avoid the street food. It's very unlikely that most foreigners will be able to tolerate street food without suffering a tummy upset.

Some south Indian cuisine (idlis, dosas) are generally easier to digest compared to the many other richer dishes. Just something to remember if one wants to go easy on the stomach for a meal or two.

Edited: 1:40 pm, September 01, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
422 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Yes i will avoid street food and try and eat in clean restaurants. U say u can eat bannnas. What about mangoes or any fruit with the skin on it. Oranges,pineaplles. I like fruit and whereever i go in the world try and eat the local fruit. Thks for the advice. Take care

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Any fruit with skin on it will be ok if you peel it yourself. Personally speaking, I eat a lot of vegetarian food in India as it is so delicious, and never makes me ill, even though I am not a vegetarian. (don't like the kitkats much, they taste different)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
422 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best ways to avoid upset stomachs

Ok thks for info and will only eat the fruit with the skin on it. I will also mostly eat veg and chicken and what about fish Is it safe to eat fish?