We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Topic
Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Dear All,

I have been researching and looking into cycling from Mumbai to Goa around mid-December time. I have looked at starting from Alibaug and keeping to the coastal road as much as possible. Ferry crossings at Dhighi, Jaigad, Dandewadi, Devbag and so on until Tiracol.

Has anyone had any experience of this road/route? I know that there are tour companies that run groups of cyclists on this route; however I want to do this trip alone in 6-7 days. I travel light so there is no difficulty in carrying clothing. I’ve had conflicting info on road conditions and general safety, Crazy Guy web site has some good reports, these are few years old. Also a friend of a friend who used to live in Mumbai says I shouldn’t attempt it.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Baresi

Reality Tours and Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Grand Mumbai Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Mumbai Moments
Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Be The Local Tours and Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

I think it is a safe part of the country with very peaceful friendly folks, if at all you can do a cycling trip anywhere in India, this coast is definitely it. That's my personal opinion based on road trips I have done in this area and visits to villages along the coast, I don't have experience with cycling tours.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Deepa,

Thanks for your reply. Not surprisingly there have been no responses to my question, I think that it is a little too off the mark from the standard requests for info that come up on Mumbai TA.

I'm feeling I’m probably going to go for it, my only doubts have been raised by my family in the UK questioning the whole idea from a safety perspective as I will be alone. There is one friend of a friend (a Sri Lankan lady who was bought up in Mumbai and now lives in HCMC) who wasn’t very complimentary about Alibaug my proposed starting point, and who thought the roads dangerous. I have travelled fairly extensively always independently and visited India 6 or 7 times now so I am fairly relaxed about the trip. However my concern is the road traffic, although it is my intention to keep to the quiet coastal roads as much as possible. I suppose I was just hoping for a bit of detail/reassurance from fellow TA’ers, as I said I think it is a little off track.

Baresi

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Hi,

It is a great idea. I know many have done this route by motorbike. It is a very scenic route and with less traffic.

Starting Alibaug is a great idea. I presume that you would be crossing by ferry with your cycle.

Only practical difficulty would be road signs and names of towns and villages, as they would be in Marathi (Local language).

Second difficulty would be food. You may have to take local food in local restaurant. You can easily get local bread and egg omlette, Misal Paav, Batata (Potato) Vada and bread, Bhaji (Pakora) etc. for breakfast. You may get even Idli and Dosa also at some places. (You can see the images of these food items to have fair idea of what to anticipate) Mineral water bottles, soda, coke etc. would be available everywhere.

In some places, you will get fried fish, chicken, vegetable, with Bhakri (Chapati made of rice or Jowar, tastes superb), Chapati and Daal (curry made of Tuvar daal). You will get lamb/goat meat, called "mutton".

You may get lodges and even homestays in some villages. You will find people very modest and loving and they love to help strangers even. They may not understand spoken English (British accents) but if you write it on paper, some can read it.

I may suggest you to start early morning around day break. Wait for breakfast by 9.00 a.m. Then move ahead upto say 12.30 or 1, then take a couple of hour rest and continue till sunset with a tea break of half an hour.

Here is a link for bicycle tourists in India with forum.

http://cyclists.in/

Have wonderful time. Please do not forget to write a day to day blog. Many around the world would love to read it.

Sanjiv

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Hi,

You have not stated as to how many kms. you want to cover each day. I assume that you can travel about 70 to 80 kms. max. per day. On some days, you may find road with many ups and downs requiring you to pedal with extra efforts. Moreover, you would love to wait and see the beaches, plus forts also.

Once we know the above, we may suggest you the places for lunch and overnight stay. Also the places, you must not miss.

Sanjiv

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Sanjiv,

Thanks for this wonderful bit of encouragement. Yes, I have planned but not organised a transfer from Mumbai airport to Alibaug. I am hoping to cover 50 miles a day with a 6am daybreak start, stopping for breakfast 8-9am, my intention is to have most of my miles done by 12-1pm, find lodgings and enjoy the afternoon with the locals. This daily average is not fixed, if I find a nice spot I may stay a while, however I want to end up at Patnem southern Goa.

Thanks for the link I will take a look at this.

And yes I will be writing and posting trip reports on Goa & Mumbai TA if I manage to pick an internet connection. If you remember I posted a series of ‘Patnem there & back’ last December on Goa TA, this had favourable reviews. I have since written again and posted on TA Crete. If I find the right groove I will define the Konkan coast through my fresh western eyes, I find the whole writing experience completely cathartic and so different from my UK life.

Thanks again, I’m feeling uplifted.

Baresi

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Sanjiv,

I will post my itinerary when I’ve had a bit more time on research.

Baresi

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Hi,

On first day, you can travel up to Kashid (35 kms. from Alibaug). Good resort known as Prakriti Resort

or at Murud - 55 kms. from Alibaug. Small town with hotels and inns. You will get good meal.

Janjira Fort at Murud is must see.

Your Day 2 stop would be Harihareshwar or Kelshi. Nice village with wonderful sea beach. Here you will get hotels and homestay also. On the way must see is Shiva temple of Harihareshwar.

Would help you with more suggestions. Feeling sleepy now.

Sanjiv

Viksberg, Dalarnas...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

I will go this distance during first week of january. ...i will buy a bike in Mumbai and go to Palolem. So now i every day exercise on my new fancy bike here in Sweden. But i don't bring it to India. It has a value of 350.000 rupies so i will not take he risk to lose it in India. So i exercise on a very expensive nice bike here and buy a cheap bike in Mumbai and leave it to someone in Goa when i go home. Anyone who want to go with me. A nice guy from sweden. 43 year. With 10 k of overweight just now, trying to loose some kg before this trip. And some more kg during the days on a bike in India. Crazy but fun i think.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Hi,

You have got company that is a great news. You can get a very good bike for Rs. 10,000 to 15,000 max with gears and capable of going in mountain terrains too. Of course a mercedez cycle will came from 70,000 to 140,000 rupees.

You will get good cycle dealers (there are many of them there, so window shop first and compare the prices) in Princess Street (old name but now officially known as Shamaldas Gandhi Road) in Kalbadevi area in South Mumbai.

Sanjiv

Aachen, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Mumbai to Goa Bicycle

Hi Baresi

Goa is my hometown but I live in Germany. This November to February I will be on vacation in India. If you need a partner, I will be glad to join you for the trip. It would be fun as I haven't explored that area yet. An aunt of mine lives in Alibagh, so it is a good place to start. If you are interested, please do write back.

BR,

Jayesh