We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

I am arriving at Mumbai international terminal by 3.10 am and my next flight is a domestic one form terminal 1A (domestic) at 6.30 am. I already booked the flights thinking the time is sufficient (almost 3 hours). But I need to report at the check in for domestic before 5.30 am. Could I make it in time. I am little worried. Please do help.

139 replies to this topic
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Hello Adarsh D,

Unless your flight at Mumbai International Airport is delayed beyond 3-30 am you can make it to 6-30am flight from Domestic Terminal and even report by 5-30 am.

Try internal transfer coach & also take help of the ground staff of both the airlines or either of incase you find pressure or press of time.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Customs and immigration will take about 45 minutes. There is a free shuttle to domestic terminal, which takes 20 minutes. Sometimes you have 15-20 mins wait for the shuttle. Ground staff of the airlines is helpful and can guide you.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
67 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Hi.Make sure that you take the airport shuttlle from within the international airport and NOT leave the airport after immigration.

Take help from authorised airport/airline staff to retrieve your lugguage,board the shuttle,get dropped at the correct domestic departure terminal.(Air India leaves from 1A and others from 1B) and with the domestic security/checkin/boarding.

India Delhi
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Dear Adarsh,

Most of the members have already suggested. Let me tell you first hand experience of the shuttle. The shuttle runs at 30 mins interval(approx) as it waits for a full bus load, though the notice at the airport says 10 mins.

The time available to you is adequate. If you are flying JET Airways, they have a check in counter just before the shuttle is to be boarded for the domestic leg.

Air India does not man this counter, though they have this counter, probably they couldn't care for their customers, as they have secure jobs.

After you get off the bus, the driver is in the habit of asking for a tip. I always tell him, he is doing his job and not a favour, and otherwise also the tip is for customer delight experience, which is lacking in this shuttle.

Time wise you will be fine. Please tell the driver of the bus in advance, which flight you are going to take so that he drops you at the correct domestic terminal.

Have a safe journey. :-)

Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Thanks everyone for the helpful advises

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

I have E ticket from Kuwait to Delhi with two flight as below.

Kuwait to Mumbai jet Jet air way 9W573 Terminal-02 at0700 hours

Mumbai to Delhi Jet airway 9w331 Terminal 1-B at 0955 hour

first I would like to know that my bags will transfer directly to another same jet air way (9w331) or not..

Because my another Flight is domestic flight.

kindly advise it required change bags in Bombay terminal or will be directly transfered to another domestic flight.. I have 3 hours time to change my flight both flight they mention buggage 40 kg.

please do my help.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Hello Abdul,

Generally as you would be travelling on the same airlines the luggage would be booked through Kuwait-Delhi but may need to identify at Mumbai . For this you need to take a help of the ground staff of the airlines or some airport executive assistance on your embarking the International flight and you will be guided accordingly.You can take an internal coach transfer between the International and Domestic airports without going outside of the airport at zero cost. But you need to confirm at the point of boarding whether they will load the baggage as through Baggage or at the airlines office at the point of origin.

In any case if you need to retrieve your baggage at International can easily carry on the transfer coach. Three hours should be enough as you may finish the immigration,customs and baggage retrieval(if any) in a hour and waiting and transfer on coach another 40 mins. So you have still an hour ad 20 mins to checkin at Domestic airport(the counter shuts 45 mins prior to departure) .If you feel any discomfort and short of time as said earlier take assistance of ground staff and will help you to reach in time for the next one.

Edited: 7:06 am, July 24, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,554 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Yes to clarify the luggage handling, did it before:

1] You pick yourself from the Arrivals belt of International terminal

2] You clear Customs yourself with the luggage (fill in the standard form etc.)

3] Then immediately you should be able to hand it over to Jet Airways staff, as it _will_ have a label all the way to Delhi. They'll make sure it reaches the Delhi bound plane on the domestic flight

System is almost the same as for anyone arriving in the USA and transferring, and has similar reasons.

You probably already will have a 2nd boarding pass for the Delhi flight obtained in Kuwait, so once you reach Domestic terminal you don't need to check in and can immediately move to security check to get to the waiting lounge.

All the best,

<Erik>

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
595 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

Hi..

Yes, agree with erikDR..just want to add one point is- 3 hrs time is sufficient for transfer from international terminal to domestic..you need min 45 mins to clear immigration and customs..another 30 mins to reach domestic..

DOHA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic

hi everybody, i have an Air India Express International Flight in the next few days from Doha (Qatar) to Mumbai, it reaches Mumbai at 2.55 am & then my next Air India Domestic Flight is at 6.10am on the same day from Mumbai to Kolkata, in between i also need to catch up with a friend of mine who's supposed to meet me at Mumbai airport, where do i advise my friend to meet me, domestic or the international terminal, which one is advisable, kindly help & suggest

Reply to: Transfer time from Mumbai international terminal to domestic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted