We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography at CST station

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Photography at CST station

Hello,

I was in Mumbai for 2 weeks and I was wondering if there are any restrictions on photography inside the CST station?

Thanks,

Gautam

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography at CST station

There is a heritage walk conducted every afternoon from 1-5 pm approximately by the CST by architecture student guides. Check with the booking counter for exact timings. There is a small fee (about Rs.200 per person) including the museum and the areas otherwise not accessible to passengers or public. Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography at CST station

Hi Aadil,

Thanks for the information. I will definitely check this out.

Cheers,

Gautam

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography at CST station

Yes there are photography restrictions inside. You can photograph the exteriors.

Edited: 1:47 am, May 12, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography at CST station

Deepa, I must have been a naughty girl then to have taken photos inside the station concourse! No one said anything, nor did I see any warning signs. I took some really good pictures of the tiled floor in the booking hall, the stained glass windows there and the vaulted ceilings, as well as some of those wonderful station plaques commemorating now long dead bigwigs who held important office within the station! Perhaps they are a bit more relaxed on a Sunday.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography at CST station

I'm naughty then too! I snapped away on several occasions waiting for various trains. I wasn't aware of any restrictions, and no one attempted to stop me.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography at CST station

Only one time I was told by an official that photography is not allowed inside. Normally nobody took care about it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography at CST station

Now you pay a nominal amount and can take as many photographs inside during the heritage walk they conduct on weekday afternoons. Generally one can take pictures from the outside without any permissions or payment but the interiors are just too beautiful to not take a peek inside and I am sure anyone would be enthralled by the sheer beauty of the place and it's architecture even though it has not been maintained the way it should have been for what it is worth!!! Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography at CST station

I am planning to go sometime next week.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
368 posts
906 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photography at CST station

We took pictures inside and outside of the station and nobody stopped us. Indside I have pictures of the stained glass windows, the ceilings the platforms etc. I saw no signs saying we couldn't take any so just went ahead. I would think you just do it and stop if someone official asks you to.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photography at CST station

It seems it is a selective restriction going by how many people have actually managed to click inside. Guess if you do not look suspicious and take routine 'touristy' photos then the authorities do not seem to mind. But I would say be careful. You are better off taking the tour and officially clicking as many photos as you like.