We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to go please

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on where to go please

We...couple in 60's....would like to visit india for about 4 or 5 weeks. We would simply like to soak up the Indian culture......crowds, scenery, architecture, history, art etc.

Would it be possible to do both North and South in this time span? Also, what is the best way to travel around the country....train, bus, plane?

We would appreciate any suggestions to get us started with our planning please

Bil

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where to go please

Hello Bil,

Yes you can do both North & South of India as you have 4/5 weeks with you.Two and half weeks for North the Golden Triangle(Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) , Udiapur, Jaislmer,Jodhpur, Kumbalghar, Puskar, Ajmer.etc.

Two weeks for South -Kerala, Puducherry, Mysore Hampi,etc.

One week for Goa, Mumbai, Hyderabad.

You can travel by Train if it is overnight journey of 6/8 hrs. by bus and car if it is 2/5 hrs journey. and beyond that air.Can put to use other modes also but this is the most convenient, easy and most experiencing ( India Scenic, Culture, Crowds) way to travel across places..

So if going from North to South of India or the other way use air.Jaipur- Delhi, Jaipur -Pushkar, use car or bus, and Mumbai - Goa use the train. This is just and example and can plan as per distance once you draw out a complete plan of places.

Australia
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where to go please

Thank you very much for this advice. It is exactly what we wanted to know and we can now get down to some specific planning. This will probably mean more questions!

Thank you very much

Bil

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where to go please

Hi Bill.3,

I may suggest the following route.

Arrive in Delhi 3 nights stay (including jet lag day)

, Fly to Khajuraho 1 night 2 days

Fly to Varanasi or by train - 3 nights and 4 days

Varanasi to Agra by overnight train - 1 night 2 days

Hire a taxi and cover Orchha - 1 night, 2 days

Continue with the same car and driver

Jaipur - 2 nights

Mandwa - 1 night

Bikaner - 1 night

Jaisalmer 2 nights

Jodhpur 1 night

Ranakpur and Kumbhalgarh 1 night

Udaipur including Chittodgarh 3 nights

Leave taxi and fly to Mumbai

Mumbai 2 nights and 3 days

Mumbai to Goa - fly - 5 nights and 6 days just relax on beaches

Train to Hampi, Pattadkal etc. 3 nights

back to Goa.

Goa to Cochin - fly or by train

Kerala - Cochin, Munnar Kovalam etc. one week

Fly back home

For railway booking irctc.co.in

Please buy 2 tier A/C class or A/C First class to ensure comfort

Sanjiv

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where to go please

Hello Bill,

Since you have mentioned that you are in your 60's, only if you are fit enough would I recommend you to try and do everything in your one trip. Each part of India offers you a different culture with of course some overlaps.

If you want a really relaxed trip, then those 4-5 weeks can be easily spent in North India or South India. However, if you want to spend only a little time at each place then it is fine if you do North India and South India in one trip.

If you want to stay in the northern part, then you could also consider going to the Northeastern states. The itineraries suggested by the two contributors before me sound good but might be a bit hurried. So you will need to think about what you really want to experience.

As for travel, if you have the budget, then I recommend travelling by air, but the trains are convenient for overnight journeys and short distances. I would not recommned you to rent a car if the drive is more than 5-6 hours unless there is no other option available or if you want to experience the road journey.

If you want to really soak in everything, then I would not recommend doing a lot; even if you have 4-5 weeks to spend in India.

Edited: 10:46 am, December 26, 2012
Australia
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where to go please

Thank you so much for this helpful information. We are now busy reading and checking on the various places that you have mentioned.

One question please: Is it possible to HUB it in any of the places you have mentioned? Would it be possible to stay in, say, Delhi or Jaipur for example, and stay there for 4 or 5 days (or a week) and visit the various other places that you have suggested?

Many thanks

Bil

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on where to go please

Hello Bii

Yes that can be done say Delhi- Jaipur- Agra.

Jodhpur- Ajmer- Pushkar,

Jaisalmer-Jodhpur,

Udaipur-Kumbhalgarh- Ranakpur

And.so on.

Australia
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on where to go please

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. We will try to work out an itinerary and then decide on how long to stay each night in a hotel.

Thanks you again for your valuable help

Bil

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on where to go please

No need to stay in one place like (Delhi or Jaipur )...You can plan a tour from Delhi proceed to Agra by car/train than on to Jaipur by car/train and further on to other cities of Rajisthan by road.

For other queries related to tour you can search in the box above corner.

Thanks

Rashid Agra

Australia
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on where to go please

Thank you Rashid...I appreciate your advice

Bil

Valley Village
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on where to go please

Bill

I will be in India for 3 months and I bought a GREAT book from Lonely Planet India. It has 1100 pages of India... best things to see and do, where to stay, history, culture... and with Trip advisor, You can customize your own GREAT trip

judi