We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train booking

Santu Lussurgiu...
Level Contributor
42 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
train booking

hi, after being able to book the train from Mumbai-Aurangabad through cleartrip, we are having a lot of hassle booking several other: tried 3 (THREE) times to cleartrip, and they took the money (that will be given back in 2-3 weeks!) and send an error message!

tried trough 'mytrip.com', but the system not recognise the Mobile OTP IRCTC gave us after days (scan passport, send it, etc, as we are in Italy and have Italian mobile!).

now my question is: as we will be in Mumbai a week before beginning to travel, someone could gave us the name/website of a good travel agency that could do all our train-booking for us? or - as we will be staying at Travellers Inn, can we ask them to do it (but we will need several reservations, for night trains and not only). Please help, because I am really tired/sick to fight with the booking online system (never had to work with one requesting a mobile, and this way creating a lot of problems for foreigners, and during the years I have booked several train/flights online not only in Italy but all over Europe & North/South America! HELP!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train booking

The culprit here again is the irctc site of Indian Railways through which cleartrip or mytrip operate. It is not a good idea to get the tickets done thorugh an agent just a week before your traveling date, because there is avery little chance that you will get the tickets done. It is always better to book in advance.

I would advise to book your tickets now itself, may through someone here in India (as they will be easily able to book tickets through irctc site directly)!!

Pune
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Aurangabad
Level Contributor
809 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train booking

Not sure when you are travelling, but generally train tickets in India get booked like 3 months in advance. It may be worthwhile for you to go by Luxury bus- as called as "Volvo" in India or private car from Mumbai, if you dont have much time on hand.

You can try www.irctc.co.in which is actual Indian Railways site to see how many available seats are there for your journey.

Santu Lussurgiu...
Level Contributor
42 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train booking

ah ah ah! we are going in January and February and March, so in theory we have time... IF the irctc let us book! but as we don't have a Indian Mobile number they cannot send the Mobile code with sms (and I have asked & asked & asked that they send it by mail!). and yes, now we are looking in Internet for travel agency in central Mumbai that we can contact, give them a list and pick up the tickets when we arrive: someone has any name of a reliable travel agency there? Also, as we will travel for a long time (2 months & 1/2), our budget is very limited and generally we don't like to use the 'tourist' buses/trains. sigh, this trip is becoming more and more difficult to organise and we are more and more tired and stressed about it (and wishing we had decided to go somewhere else)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train booking

Taariel,

Booking through irctc site might be a bit of problem again especially for foreigners, as the payment for foreigners are through Amex Indian cards (some issue with this). Still give it a try!!

I know the ticket making part for railways is a bit problematic, but rest assured, once you are done with it you should not encounter any problems once you arrive here (if everything is pre-booked). There will be many travel agents listed/recommended on tripadvisor. You can go ahead with that!!

Moreover Tripadvisor experts are always here to help you out with your queries!!

Vikas

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train booking

Hello Guys,

Please choose this site you can book easily.

but some time its very slow.

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train booking

Kumarabhi,

This site does not have reservation facility, it only gives info. For reservation it again send you to irctc site!!

mumbai
Level Contributor
35 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train booking

Train booking from india is easy cause one has to register on india railways site 1st. The best could be to tell your hotel to book you the tickets they will charge you some fees but can book it for you.

There are also many good ac buses that goes to Aurangabad and its just a overnight journey so try that option too.

Again try your hotel to pre book or for bus try

www.redbus.in/

Pune
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
809 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train booking

Taariel,

Didnt realize that it needs India mobile number :)

Pune
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
809 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train booking

Taariel,

Here is a solution suggested by one of the TA member.. Might be of help for you.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k57409…

Santu Lussurgiu...
Level Contributor
42 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train booking

thanks god for indian travel agencies! after fighting (unsuccesfully) with the cleartrip website (we are still waiting they refund our money!), I asked one of the hotels we had booked through internt, and the kind owner put us in contact with a very helpful travel agency in Mumbai (I cannot say the name, otherwise it would be publicity, I suppose), and they were very very helpful, booking all our trains for us, sending the e-tickets, and giving some suggestions about the last stretch of our planned travel in the south of India.

thanks, mr. Bhavin! thanks, ms. Deepti!!! we have saved me a mental breakdown!!! :-)