We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in Mumbai

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Malaria in Mumbai

I travel soon to Mumbai. Stay at hotel in Juhu beach and only plan to visit the city around. Do I need to take malaria pills? So yes. Wish one are the best for that aria. Another concern is icecups in my glas. Is it safe? Thxs

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Juhu Beach
Juhu Beach
1,912 Reviews
Mumbai, India
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

There are mosquitos all over India as there are in all tropical countries, just make sure you take a good insect repellent with you and you'll be ok. We stayed at the Marriott in Juhu beach and it's a lovely hotel. Ice won't be a problem in this hotel as it's an International chain and the water will be filtered or the ice will be bought but as a rule we always ask for no ice in our drinks as they're usually cold anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Juhu Beach
Juhu Beach
1,912 Reviews
Mumbai, India
Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

normaly all good Hotels have mosqitos killing liquied in rooms . and you donot need to worry .

Its depend upon the hotel, how caeful you should be.

avoide to take ice cubs from a hotel which donot have proper filter systems .

i suggest you donot neeed to take malaria pills but you can use some spray inacse you are sitting in garden. or any open place.

this is discussed many time you can type malaria in india and you will find a loty about it here is one example

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304554-i4228-k4087…

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

I.m a foreign national living between here and Goa last six years, have never taken any malaria pills, have so far avoided any illness.

I never take ice from any premises, better to be safe than sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Vienna
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

Yes, some people have habit of making issue of non issue. One need not worry too much about Malaria in Mumbai as if at all it exists it is in Slums of Mumbai. It is also unfortunate that some cos. are offering Slum Tourism to expats visiting Mumbai. They should not patronize and encourage such tours as what is there to see in the lives of people compelled to live in these slums in most unhygienic conditions. They should rather help these people then just feeling pity of them. In fact if the Indian Govt. has some self respect left it should stop such tours forthwith as there is much more to see in India besides slums.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

I have never had malaria. Living in South Mumbai, I have also become rather lackadaisical about repellant. However, I do hear about cases of malaria every now and then. Some of these cases have included strapping, healthy young men, living in upmarket locations. Funnily enough, quite a few cases I have heard of have been from Altamount Road. I think that travellers should research the risk and decide for themselves. At the very least, use repellant to avoid bites as much as possible. Even if you do not get malaria, the bites itch like crazy.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

I think it is irresponsible to suggest that the OP ignore all recommendations on international medival travel sites. There are cases of malaria in Mumbai and the risk is there. Just Google "India Malaria"

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/india.htm

MDTravel Health: mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/…india.php

Repellents wear off and even with it on you might get bit.

For drug information, go to a travel clinic , also see

www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html

You really need professional advice, not questionable advice on a forum as Malaria can be very serious.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
7. Re: Malaria in Mumbai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 19, 2013