We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair holidays in india 2012

derbyshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
wheelchair holidays in india 2012

hi,can anyone give me up to date info on disabled holidays(accomadation,tours ,transport etc)in india.thank you

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

|Simply - some places are better than others. Do you need a wheelchair? If you do, you can still see a lot if you can manage a few steps or walk a short distance. Good examples:

- Delhi a/p - flat, get your airline to book a pporter to push as it's a long way to the exit

- Qut'b - one upward ramp on the way in, one section needs some walking, but you can see a lot from a chair, including the actual column

- Humayun's Tomb - some gateways with a few steps, but do'able

- Pushkar - narrow streets and steps

- Amber Palace - very accessible as there are (original) ramps in places

- Jaipur Observatory - OK

- Jodhpur - Palace is not so accessible, due to stairs

- Jodhpur lake cruise - you need to manage about 12 stairs and get onto/off the boat

- Bundi - steep!

- Ranthambore - you need to be fairly agile to get into a jeep. Maybe consider going by Canter

- Fatepur Sikri - I could not climb onto the bus to FS from the visitor centre, so passed!

Taj Mahal - some ramps. You need to be able to get onto a low'-floor buggy type thing to get to the entrance from the ticket office. When you get to the base of the white marble, you need to be able to walk and climb about 15 stairs - or at least our guide did not know of any provision for w/c users. I w/c'd as far as I could then managed the rest (slowly!) with two crutches and the help of my partner. There are places to rest as you see the outside of the tomb

Other - Hotels, make sure you get a ground floor room and still expect some steps. Getting around, a lot of the time the pavement does not exist and the road is busy and ill-repaired - but hey, you're in India!! Bathrooms, you'll find european style toilets in tourist hotels and restaurants, but may occasionally have to cope with a "squat". Use toilets when they're availabe! Staring, you WILL get started at and your picture will be on a thousand mobile phones. You will also be asked a lot oif questions, especially by school kids, so you'll feature in many a "report on our trip to the Taj" essays. People are generally very polite but at the same time inquisitive.

When all's said and done, you will manage to see and do a lot. And you'll be in INDIA. This is what I said to a lady who asked about India:

India is the most foreign place I have ever been, hot, wet, dirty, incredible poverty, filth, stinking open sewers, horrendous public toilets, noisy, chaotic, beautiful, fascinating, historic, amazing, wonderful , friendly, delicious, incredible, great helpful inquisitive people, stunning scenery, I would live there if I could and be the happiest man in the world.

And I stick by that !

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

Hi Johnb121,

Your observation is keen. Unfortunately, Indians are less sensitive to physically challenged persons. Public parks, footpaths (sidewalks), roads, toilets are built without considering the needs of physically challenged persons. When we go abroad, we see the special arrangements made for disable persons, we realise how insensitive we are.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

John,

Thats so....umm....beautiful! And so so helpful for any disabled person coming to India.

The Indian government is trying to wake up to the needs of disabled people but we have a long way to go to be completely disabled friendly.....

derbyshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

thankyou everyone for your detailed replies.unfortunately not being able to do even 1 step it seems i would miss more than i would be able see.

Edited: 9:57 am, January 09, 2012
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

Hi literist,

Please do not lose your hopes. Even if you are not able to take a step, no problem you can hire couple of assistants to lift your chair whenever needed on the steps. You may request your trip organizing agency to provide at a little extra cost.

According to me the cost per day for such two assistants should not exceed 20 pounds or at the most 25 pounds. This will ensure that you do not miss a single site.

I may further suggest that you may ask for one male and one female assistant. The female assistant would help you in public toilets etc.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

hi thank you for your reply it seems more hopeful than previous answers.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

Sanjiv and Sandy - thanks for your kind remarks

Literist - Sanjiv makes a very good point. I was dissuaded from following up on this when we visited by our tour company who made the (vaild) point that hiring a "pusher" would not make bumpy streets and "off road" areas comfortable or even possible. In my case, I limited my walking to short distances and stairs. A w/c can get you around on the flat and smooth and within reason where the surface is less than smooth. Arranging porters could be the answer for you, as you can't walk, but I fear you may still find yourself limited - the "inaccessability factor" will also depend on your nerve and the ability of the porters to carry you and your chair up narrow and steep staircases, often with a lot of other people trying to crowd around (and often trying to help).

I don't mean to scare you off. For me India is worth every discomfort, every drop of sweat, every twinge of pain and every stare, but you and your tour company will need to check out just what is going to be possible, in hotels, in transport and in sight-seeing. There is a lot of information on TA, on the web and via email for info on hotels. Use it to judge how much you will be able to achieve. But please give India a try.

John

Edited: 11:25 am, January 10, 2012
New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

facebook.com/pages/…125261537553272

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

Rohit - no advertising!

10. Re: wheelchair holidays in india 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 22, 2014