We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slums tour Mumbai

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Topic
Slums tour Mumbai

Does anybody have any details of guides or tours for the slums in Mumbai. Im looking for a morning tour and staying near the airport

Paul

Vienna
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

Bombay has several slums and it depicts the helplessness of people who are staying therein for survivor. You can not have feel of it in half a day. If you can message me your e mail id. I can send you the details of such slums near airport.-Regards

Wirral
Level Contributor
741 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

Paul will PM you.

bb

Mumbai
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

hi

i dont know what attract you guys to the slums ...

Its definitely not a tourist destination and definitely not a pleasent place to be in ...

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

cavemen,

To each his own. And, I do think we are here to provide assistance not to give judgments...isnt it?

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

Your question cavemen is like saying why do you give to charity to places and organisations around the world, because its not a tourist destination.

I was lucky to be brought into this world with a nice home, running water.....etc so when i go to places like the slums it makes me so gratefull forwhat i have in the world and also if i can help some of these people out and make them happy for a short while it is worth visiting there.

6. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, January 21, 2013
Edited: 11:05 am, January 21, 2013
Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

Thank you very much Deepa, i was just looking at the Be the local and touiist site. Looks very good. I will also look at the others.

Paul

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

I do agree with "cavemen" to a certain degree on the following premises :

1. Slums are residences of normal human beings like you and me, who might not be as financially fortunate as many others, and hence, live in such an environment. Why should that be promoted as a "tourist" destination / "attraction" ?

2. A large number of "slum dwellers" have been relocated to better staying conditions by the Mumbai Govt and are currently staying in multi storeyed apartments built specifically under the slum dwellers rehabilitation scheme. Do we project such houses as "tourist attractions" ? If not, then why not ? Sincerely suggest that our friends who are interested in understanding the slum dwellers way of living should also visit such residential complexes.

3. Its really amazing to note that there are actually a few "Walking Tours" in Mumbai who arrange for a "Slum Visit ". I'm sure its not for free or for any charitable cause.

Its time that we treat the people living in those "slums" with the basic minimum respect and stop "visiting" them as a "tourist attraction".

Instead, if some one is really interested to work for the betterment / benefit of such lesser privileged people in society, they should come forward and contribute with their efforts as best as they can.

I like Paulbtbs' thought of spreading happiness to the less fortunate. Would be really happy to see more people put such thoughts to action rather than just visit the "tourist attraction called - SLUMS" for a fast photo shoot of been there and done that.

The above thoughts are entirely personal and brought forward through various similar postings on this forum wherein I keep noting that people want to visit our slums like a "tourist attraction" and not for any other purpose.

Regards

Neel

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
504 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

Slum tours to appreciate sufferings of the poor is good idea. it will help us think something other than our own life.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slums tour Mumbai

Fully agree with you hemkumar g. However, sadly, these organised "slum tours" have no such intention and project the slums of Mumbai as a "tourist attraction". There would perhaps be only a handful few who actually work and contribute for the betterment of the poor.