We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slum tours

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Slum tours

Is it still possible to do the slum tours in mumbai? If so what is the cost.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Slum tours

there are quite a few slum tours on the city and it seems to be gaining popularity.

I will highly recommend reality tours as not only do they conduct slum tours but they use part of the proceeds for upliftment of the slum kids. u can check them out here realitytoursandtravel.co.in/tours/slum-tours/

Another popular service is http://www.mumbaimagic.com/dharavi.htm. However both these tours cost around 10-12 USD for the short tours. they can be booked with a days notice (usually) and have fluent english-speaking guides

Edited: 7:40 am, May 06, 2013
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Slum tours

I would second the above review. We spent the afternoon with Felix who took us to the Dharavi Slums. He is very knowledgeable and will answer all questions honestly. His charges are very reasonable. Mob: +91-0-9833123344 or +91-0-9869108786 or affelix@rediffmail.com

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
841 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Slum tours

Hi

I think Mumbai Magic Tours and Be the local Tours have "Dharavi" Tours.

They have good reviews on TripAdvisor as well.

Regards

Sam

Groowynd Holidays

Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Slum tours

I have just booked and had my tour confirmed

"Dharavi ‘Educational tour’

If visitors are expecting extreme poverty and despair based on movie depictions, they will be disappointed. In fact this tour actively breaks stereotypical depictions of slums.

The tour will take you through the proud and industrious area of Dharavi. You will be able to see where people work, where people live and where people relax. We will show you the vast industrial areas with many important industries like the bakeries serving the whole of Mumbai. We will show you the residential areas where whole families live in a small room, local schools and even the pottery industries.

Some of the areas will be familiar if you have seen the film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ as much of the film was shot in Dharavi."

It is through Be The Local Tours.

Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Slum tours

http://youtu.be/JkLpCFmDKbM

Just watched this wonderful video of Dharavi, hope you enjoy it too.

16. Re: Slum tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 12, 2015