We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

Hello,

I am planning on staying in Mumbai from Feb 17 - Feb 19 in the Fort Area. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any reasonable hotels in the area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

The Regency is a popular choice, and most people seem to think it's reasonably-priced for expensive Mumbai. It was too dear for our blood, however, and we wanted something that didn't remind us of the hotels in our home town, so we stayed almost next-dooe, at the Benazeer. There are some pretty dismal windowless rooms in this place, but if you get the front room with the full-width windows looking out onto the square at front, you will think you have a bargain indeed. It's a double room with private bath and air-conditioning, and a year ago it cost 950 rupees a night. The manager is Mr C Abreo, and the staff couldn't have been nicer to us (so nice, in fact, that we stayed there twice, the second time just rolling up at 7:30 a.m. asking if we could have our old room, from a month previous, back again.... Mr Abreo was nice enough to let us check into it right away -- we stayed on that occasion for a total of 31 hours -- and charged us only for the one night.)

I think you'll be happy with the location -- just near Citibank and Travelex and the main local banks, and we walked to two major railway stations, to Colaba and the "Gateway", and to the main markets north of Victoria Station, with no trouble at all.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

Yes, the Benazeer at Rs998 including taxes is pretty much cheaper than the Hotel Residency at Rs1600 (No Regency next door, as Alan says!!!) but if you want a slightly cheaper option then the Benazeer there is the Hotel New Bengal near Crawford Market and CST. There are quite a few good options in the area like the Railway Hotel near CST and Hotel Shelleys near the Gateway of India. Then there is Hotel Harbour View and Hotel Suba Palace near the Gateway too. Infact the whole area is full of hotels if you walk around the area.

You could always keep your luggage in the cloakroom (left luggage counter) at the CST main line station for Rs10 per bag for 24 hours and ensure it has a lock on it or they will not accept it!!! Then go around scouting the area looking for what you want and if you like it then get your bags from the station which is not too far off from the main Fort Colaba area.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

Thank you, astroaadil.... yes, it was the Residency, not the Regency. After thirteen months I fear I am getting a bit rusty on the details (on another post -- which I hope you didn't notice -- I told some poor fellow that if he visits Hanoi he must not miss seeing Mao's tomb!). Thanks also for putting in the name "Crawford", which had escaped me also (it is north of Victoria Station, I hope!)

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

Thank you all for your help. I will try and look into all your suggestions.

Quick question though - Are private bathrooms at reasonable hotels in India a rarity?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

>>>> Thank you, astroaadil.... yes, it was the Residency, not the Regency. After thirteen months I fear I am getting a bit rusty on the details (on another post -- which I hope you didn't notice -- I told some poor fellow that if he visits Hanoi he must not miss seeing Mao's tomb!). Thanks also for putting in the name "Crawford", which had escaped me also (it is north of Victoria Station, I hope!)

Hi Alan,

Well, everybody makes mistakes sometime so I guess it is fine!!! About Crawford Market I did not mention the new name Mahatma Phule Market as no one refers it by that name just like they still call CST as VT!!!

>>>> Thank you all for your help. I will try and look into all your suggestions.

Quick question though - Are private bathrooms at reasonable hotels in India a rarity?

Hi TejD,

Private bathrooms are usually the norm in most decent hotels and are of the shared type only when the rooms are single or really dirt cheap. But still the cleanliness of the bathrooms leaves much to be desired even in many good hotels. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Bangalore
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

Hotel Sealord 167, pD'Mello Road Tel : 2615785 Fax: 2617260

try this hotel bang outtside the Main Mumbai CST railway station in FOrt area

Check their website

www.sealord-hotel.com

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

But are the bathrooms in hotels toilet style or are they wholes in the ground? :-)

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

But are the bathrooms in hotels toilet style or are they holes in the ground? :-)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay)
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mumbai - Fort Area Hotels

>>>> But are the bathrooms in hotels toilet style or are they wholes in the ground? :-)

Well, it all depends on the hotel, sometimes it is the squat type of toilet (hole in the ground) but usually it is the western style of water closet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.