We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phones in India

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Englefield Green...
Level Contributor
167 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
cell phones in India

How is it best to keep in touch with the US, as well as have the ability to amke local (Mumbai as well as to other parts of India) calls? I have a triband phone - can I easily get an Indian SIM card? where would I get one & how much etc? Thanks

India
Level Contributor
464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phones in India

Yes, you can get an indian Sim card which will suit your phone, Airtel, Hutch are some of the many operators that provide this service. The cost starts from 500 Rupees onwards and you recharge your credit level as per your usage

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
499 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phones in India

There are a number of service providers like Airtel, Hutch, Idea etc who provide Pre-paid connections for short term use.

You can obtain a SIM card at one of your neighbourhood shops. Just ask for a pre-paid SIM Card, the shopkeeper will know what you are talking about. You will need to give him a copy of your Passport, the page that contains your photograph. You will also need to fill a form and paste your photograph there. as soon as you do this, you will be given a SIM Card with a Minimum Balance on it which will allow you to make a limited number of calls and send a limited number of SMS/Text messages, but it will allow you to recieve unlimited number of calls and text messages within a 3 month period. If you want to make larger number of calls, then you can buy a refill at the same shop or at any other shop.

Hope this helps, please ask in case of any other query.

kami