We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Which Mumbai (Bombay) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bpm
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

I have 2 days in Mumbai and would like to take a day trip to Ellora Caves. Or Ajanta, whichever is closer. Is is possible to hire a driver, spend the day there, and return in the evening? Would a train be easier and faster?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Train number 7617 TAPOVAN EXPRESS departs MUMBAI CST (Victoria Terminus) at 06:10 and arrives in AURANGABAD at 13:30

If you go sightseeing immediately, you can possibly see Ellora for a couple of hours. It is 30 kms from Aurangabad, but can take an hour to get there.

To return, you can take train number 1402 NANDIGRAM EXP which leaves AURANGABAD at 21:55 and arrives in MUMBAI CST at 05:40.

Or you can take train number 7058 DEVAGIRI EXP which leaves AURANGABAD at 23:30 and arrives MUMBAI CST at 07:10

A better idea might be to take a night train from Mumbai, so that you can cover Ellora and Ajanta sightseeing. Train Number 7057 DEVAGIRI EXP leaves MUMBAI CST (VT) at 21:05 and reaches AURANGABAD at 04:10 in the morning.

When I went to Ellora, I took a flight from Mumbai into Aurangabad. Go to makemytrip.com, and look for flights.

There's a Jet Airways flight (number 113) that leaves Mumbai at 7:15 and gets to Aurangabad at 8:00 a.m.

Jet flight 3109 departs from Aurangabad to Mumbai at 18:15, and arrives at 19:25.

A cheaper airline is Air Deccan, they have a return flight at 18:40 p.m. which costs half the price of Jet. But their Mumbai-Aurangabad flight is in the evening.

- Deepa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

The caves are closed on one day of the week. Maybe Monday. Not sure. Please check before going.

VA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Thank you Deepa, this a really good info. Do you know if I should reserve tickets or will it be OK to buy on spot?

One other question: I am flying from Delhi to Mumbai and landing at 20:05. Do you think I have enough time to make the night train no.7057 to Aurangabad that leaves at 21:05?

bpm
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Thank you for your help Deepa!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Yakitiyak - please buy tickets in advance. Also, you won't make the train - the airport is in North Bombay, and the train you're asking about leaves from CST (Victoria Terminus) in Sputh Bombay. You need to budget at least a 3 hour difference between the two.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

bpm -

You wrote asking the following: Ideally I am looking for a flight that leaves in the morning (on 29th) and returns the following afternoon or early evening. Any advice?

The answer is: Go to www.makemytrip.com and look at all the flights. It is really easy.

There are four flights from Mumbai to Aurangabad, they leave at 7:25, 15:55, 18:25, and 18:40.

There are four flights from Aurangabad to Mumbai, they leave at 8:35, 17:20, 19:55 and 20:00.

There was an error in my earlier post - I was wrong about the Jet flight 3109 from Aurangabad. It is 3110, and it leaves Aurangabad at 19:55.

- Deepa

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Hotels in Aurangabad for bpm -

Hi, you wrote asking "Also, any suggestions on decent priced hotels in Aurangabad that is nice but not overly pricey. Ideally a place that has a concierge or shuttle that can take us to Ellora and is centrally located to shops/restaurants. Thanks."

The answer is: I've stayed at the Taj Residency, which is good, the tariff is around Rs. 5000 per night.

There are several good cheaper hotels:try this link -

www.nivalink.com/travel/aurangabad.html

- Deepa

bpm
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Hi Deepa. Thanks for this information. Another question:

We fly into Mumbai International Airport (from USA) at 1:35AM on the morning of the 29th. We would like to go straight to Aurangabad (for Ellora Caves) that morning. we are hoping to get the first morning flight out. However, I have heard that there is an International airport and a domestic airport in Mumbai. If we fly to Aurangabad, I am assuming its out of Mumbai's domestic airport. How far is one from the other? How much time do we need to alot and how do we get there?

Thanks.

Bella

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

20-30 minutes, there are free shuttles. Search on this forum for "airport" or "international to domestic" and you'll find past responses.

bpm
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Distance from Mumbai to Ellora (or Ajanta) Caves

Anyone know what the luggage restrictions are on smaller/domestic flights? we will have large luggage with us when we fly from Mumbai to Auragabad and want to try and avoid paying any fees. Thanks.