We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi meter CHART scam

Phitsanulok...
Level Contributor
244 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi meter CHART scam

I encountered this once in India and wonder if it is common in Mumbai. If you are lucky enough to get a taxi that will open the meter, do you pay what the meter says, or does the driver produce a chart converting the metered fare into another outrageous amount ? Can I be comfortable that if the taxi agrees to use the meter that the price shown is what I pay. What about rigged meters in Mumbai?

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
5 replies to this topic
Mumbai
Level Contributor
11,304 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi meter CHART scam

Hi,

The chart system worked with analogue system meters. All Black & Yellow Cabs as well as Cool Cabs have been mandated to use electronic digital meters and the passengers are expected to pay by the meter. Please ensure that the meter reading is zero at the start of your trip and simply pay by the meter. As far as rigging is concerned, like any other city there will be some rogue taxi drivers and Mumbai is no exception. But overall the fare system has improved with the introduction of electronic meters.

CarLink

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Phitsanulok...
Level Contributor
244 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi meter CHART scam

Thank you for your very informative reply. Do you think that as a foreigner I will actualy be able to get taxis to open there meters? Which taxis are best. I will not have an Indian sim, so Uber etc. are not possible.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
11,304 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi meter CHART scam

Simply hire Black & Yellow Taxi (non air-conditioned) and ask the driver to put the meter on. Ensure that the reading is zero and pay by the meter. The very fact that you insist on seeing 'zero" will be deterrent enough to charge you anything but by meter.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi meter CHART scam

There is one more trick these taxi guys use against foreigners or tourists. They put on the meter and take the longest route available. So beware. Check the distance in your maps if you have GPS.

Level Contributor
261 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi meter CHART scam

Getting an Indian sim would be cheaper and should give you a more hassle free option (Uber etc.) while travelling. Simpler than bartering for cabs...which in your position is an even more cumbersome thing. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Taxi meter CHART scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;