We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day and a Half in Mysore

Which Mysuru (Mysore) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A day and a Half in Mysore

Arriving on Sunday am. Plan to spend the evening at the Maharajah's Palace. but ideas what we ought to do the rest of our stay would be appreciated.

The first two days of our first trip to India. Likely to be rather jet lagged so really looking for a full day tour next Monday.

We like parks, gardens and experiencing history. At the moment we have considered Tippu sultan's summer Palace, Brindavam Gardens and the City markets. Ideas and thoughts appreciated.

thanks

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,690 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

You must see Jagmohan Art Gallery. Its not far off from the Palace, they have fabulous collection of paintings (if you are interested). Try Chamundi Hills, nice place. The Pilu.. Church.

Buy original sandalwood products from Cauvery, the Govt. emporium. Have a taste of Mysore Pak.

Edited: 1:56 am, January 11, 2012
Mumbai
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

Banglore has quite a few places of Historic Interest. the Brindavan Gardens are good and must be visited late evenings for the fountain shows. The palace is also a great place but is of the recent past (18th century).

depending on how many days you have, you may explore these options.

- Aihole - a heritage site showcasing architecture of the Kadamba dynesty ( built around 750 CE )

- Belur is another heritage site, this place is different as it was patronized by the later rulers the Hoysala dynesty

- Then there is Sravanabelagola which has a huge statue of the 1st jain monk, built by the later jain rulers

would strongly recommend checking the smartphone app - the glory of india watch its demo on youtube

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

you can accomodate the entire trip in one day and then have a good night sleep .Start early on Monday and go to Srirangapattana , 20 kms from Karnataka Tourism office ,Mysore. this is the Sultan's summer palace . Also visit the Lord Vishnu temple nearby and see the demolished fort of Tipu. photography allowed within temple. while coming back visit St Philomena's Church .After this you can visit the famous Mysore palace. Takes atleast 2hrs to get a glimpse of it. worth visiting. Skip it , if you have visited it the day before.Next stop at Mysore zoo . nothin different from any other Indian zoos, but you get to see some real big tigers . visit only if you are into wildlife and have the time. Next try Chamundi Hills . hope you like the drive uphill to visit the temple . Get a good view of mysore from hilltop. Pay extra to skip the queue at the temple. Keep Brindavan Gardens as the last visit .

Tip: get rid of middleman to get silk and sandalwood products.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

Hi there....I am arriving Bangalore 7March -11March....

I want to visit Mysore, Belur and Helebid....

can anyone suggest a tour guide and places to stay...what not to miss...

Cally

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,690 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

3cally51

The tour plan can be as follows :

7th Arrival at Bangalore airport & transfer to Mysore via Srirangapatana. Check-in to hotel (may try Pai Vista). After lunch : Mysore Palace, Jagmohon Art Gallery.

8th After breakfast - Chamundi hills and proceed to Nagarhole National Park. [since you have 4 days, this spot is being suggested]. Check-in to Kabini River Lodge, Afternoon - Jungle safari.

9th Nagarhole - early morning boat safari on Kabini River, back to hotel have your breakfast, check-out and transfer to Hassan. Check-in hotel (may try)Hasan Ashok.

10th Day tour to Halebid and Belur

11th To Bangalore and flyout.

Edited: 10:03 pm, January 23, 2012
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

i missed this post and replied to you on a different thread. Do not miss the attractions i have mentioned for Mysore. Belur and Halebidu are famous for temples , few of them were built around 1100 AD. the most amazing part of the temples are that they were built on interlocking stones and its said that the temples can be dismantled completely to smaller blocks of stone and shifted to a diff place, as is true for normal interlocking parts .

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

Also include Shravanbelagola in this itinery . this place has tallest monolith statue in the world . as i type , i am flipping through the pix i had snapped , when i had gone there . one of the must-must-visits in Karnataka.

8. Re: A day and a Half in Mysore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, March 04, 2013