We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kabini

Which Mysuru (Mysore) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Kabini

Planning to go to Kabini with my wife and 2 year old son. Confused between orange county and Serai. What i am confused about is

1. Which one to go, price difference is 10K.

2. We are travellling with a baby who is less than 2 years of age, and they say he is not allowed on a safari. The main reason for us to go is to get him to see animals. Therefore my question is which of these 2 is beter suited for game watching from the resort? ( i know i wont see tigers, but if i can show my son some animals that would be nice).

3. We plan to do some trecking and walking in the woods with the baby,which one is beter suited.

4. Which one has beter activities for kids,

Pls let me know

Cheers

Billy

Edited: 4:35 am, July 06, 2011
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kabini

Hi Carzybilly,

Orange County will be a totally different experience and is worth the money. Venturing out in the forests with a two year hold seems to be a little risky. The common sightings in these areas are elephants, deers and may be bisons. But there are in the wilderness. Orange County should offer some entertainment for your son.

Regards

Prasanna

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kabini

Thanks Prasanna

Can these animals be seen from the resort? Since my son cant go on the safari.....somewhere i read that the viewing of animals from Serai was beter compared to orange county.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,394 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kabini

There are flock of deers of different variety moves around Kabini forest area. None of these accommodation is within the forest area. So, there is remote chance to see animals from the resort itself. However, for infants, zoo is the best place to get them entertained watching animals. They will become impatient by indefinite waiting for the wild life in forests.

You may take him/her to the morning river cruise, there are variety of birds can be watched, if your luck favours, crocodile can be sighted also.

Dont forget to take light woollens in your luggage.

AshisRoy

Edited: 6:12 am, July 06, 2011
Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kabini

Hi Billy

I had replied in your post in the Nagarhole forum and am reposting here.

I have stayed at both these places quite a few times (as a wildlife photographer, i frequent both these places and even write for their blogs). First, the difference between the two.

Location: Serai (earlier Cicada resorts) and Orange County are actually on the opposite banks of the Kabini River. You can actually see from across the river through Binoculars.

Safari: The jungle safari into the Nagarhole forest is a common terrain for both the resorts (infact for all the resorts like JLR, Waerwoods etc) along the Kabini River. However, i would rate the Safari experience (both Jeep and Boat Safari) offered by Serai (Cicada) better, for they have some amazing naturalists accompanying you, the Safari vehicles are a lot more comfortable and you are provided with some neat 'Wildlife spotting checklists' which you can carry back as memoirs.

Game watching from the resort: This is a misnomer. There are no wild animals that you can see from the resort. But, being on the banks of the river, there are a wide variety of Birds that you can watch from your resort. Here, I would say Orange County scores higher. This is because, the resort has its own resort elephant (Meenakshi) which offers rides for the kids and in terms of bird watching, the vast expanse of barren land, including a mini swamp, beyond the library building, part of the nature walk route is an awesome place for some good birding.

Resort Experience: The kadukurumba tribal ambinece of Orange county, in my perosnal opinion, is way ahead of the others in that area. Similarly the food experience of this place is simply outstanding. This is not to belitle the experience at Cicada (oops Serai) which is quite homely, good, airy cottages with nice homely food, but my marks on this go to OCK.

Activities for kids: Is almost similar at both places - swimming pool, indoor games, reading lounge, wildlife movies etc. Serai has some cycles and kayaks that you can hire which OCK does not (not that it will make a difference for the 2 year old kid, but the options are available). Otherwise, nature walks with guides, birding tours are at both. Night walk (nocturnal animal watch) tours are available at OCK, not sure if Serai had it.

I concur with Prasanna. OCK is an overall better experience.

regards

Rajan

5. Re: Kabini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 06, 2012