We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

Which Mysuru (Mysore) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
austin, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

Hi, I am going to Mysore next week for 3 weeks. Had to book 3 hotels due to Dussera Festival: Regaalis, Ginger, and Brindhaven Gardens. I have never been to India and so wonder if I should bring my laptop? Could I use it if I brought it? Or should I depend upon internet access through my hotels or internet cafes?

I want to see everything in Mysore and also as much of surrounding area as I can. I am wondering if taking the time to go to a jungle camp for a tiger safari would be worthwhile? Also what about taking one of the boat trips down the canal? WE plan one weekend to go see the Taj Mahal in Agra and I don't want to rush. What about Pondicherry or Coorg trip? I have a bad habit of trying to do too much and then feeling rushed - don't want to do that this time. The last week at Brindhavan I especially am looking for some serene time.... Can anyone suggest an easy going itinerary?

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

Hi

You can bring your laptop, but make sure you have an international travel adaptor,which helps you plug into various sockets to charge your laptop.

You need not depend on Internet cafe's and you can have your own connectivity in the following modes:

1. Get yourself an international roaming card (PCMCIA or an USB) in the USA itself (MCI, AT&T and even Vodafone these days) and you will be online in a breeze while you are here (it is an expensive option but by far the best)

2. Get yourself and Airtel or BSNL card in India and use it here. I will not advice this option since when you leave after 3 weeks, the cost of the card or the deposit (5000 INR) is a waste.

3. Most hotels today are WiFi hotspots or have Ethernet based hi speed links and have an option of charging the cost to your room. This is the best, no hassles of securing a connection etc.

As far as the jungle camp is concerned, Kabini which is very close to Mysore would be a good bet. See my detailed review of this place for more info. I'll leave the other qualified folks in the forum to advise you on the rest of your schedules

Rajan

austin, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

Hi, Rajan,

Thanks for your help on this. I will check out your review. I am thinking about staying at Cicada River Lodge. Do you think the place is worth the extra money it costs over JLR?

Michael

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

I hear good things about Cicada, although I haven't stayed there. I've found JLR Kabini perfectly adequate, it's not luxurious, but it's comfortable and I like their location adjacent to the river.

We went on another interesting car trip from Mysore that covered lots of places - Orange County (Coorg), Nagarhole (stayed at jungle Inn), Dubare Elephant Camp, Tibetan Monastery at Bylekuppe, Srirangapatnam, and Ranganathittu bird sanctuary. If you want to see photos from the trip, send me a private message with your email and I'll invite you to the flickr album.

The Taj can be done over a weekend, but if you want to see Mathura/Brindavan in a more relaxed fashion, then add another day to it. This is one itinerary, there are many variations possible.

Day 1: Fly Bangalore Delhi, drive to Mathura, overnight in Mathura

Day 2: Mathura temple darshan, drive to Agra

Day 3: Taj by dawn, Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, overnight Agra

Day 4: Drive back to Delhi or take the train to Delhi

You can also choose to spend more days at Mathura if you want to experience that atmosphere.

- Deepa

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

Hi

I've stayed both at Cicada as well as Orange Couty Kabini - in fact i have reviews of both OC Kabini and Cicada posted along with Photographs.

I have'nt stayed at JLR and cannot comment on the same. Between Cicada and Kabini, the difference is essentially between form and content. Cicada has a great package for Wildlife Safari's while OCK is way ahead in terms of comfort, theme (the local tribal village theme). The cost/rate is not very different between these.

I've also done a 5 nighter at OC Coorg (3 days in a Private Pool Villa and 2 on a Tented acco) which is simply awesome. You can check that one out as well.

Rajan

5. Re: Should I bring laptop? Trips around Mysore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 10, 2009