We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Topic
Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

Hi All,

I am desperately seeking some advice to lock in a travel plan covering Shimla and Manali in no particular order, originating from Delhi. We are a group of 5 adults and looking to minimize long bus journeys as much as possible. Our train arrives at Delhi on 21/10/12 @ 0900 and return date is 26/10/12 @ 07:20 from Hazrat Nizzamudin station. I have got 5 days and cannot work out an itineary that will cover Shimla toy train, Shimla and Manali essential sight seeing. We are not interested in visiting temples as such. Most hopeful snow locations in Manali is a must. I looked at Delhi - Manali - Shimla or the other way around, trying to minmize 12-14 hour long bus rides. Please help.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

Suggestive itinerary -

Day1 : Arr Shimla, check-in hotel.

Day2 : Shimla – day trip to Kufri, Fagu, Naldehra, Chini. Evening – Strolling around the Ridge.

Day3 : To Manali, check-in hotel, rest.

Day4 : Day trip to Rohtang Pass or Kothi, Rahala, Gulaba.

Day5 : After breakfast – Solang Valley and Naggar. Afternoon - volvo to Delhi.

AshisRoy

Edited: 11:09 am, September 06, 2012
Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

thanks Ashis for your suggestion. Allow me to express my confusion.

Day 1 - We would like to travel on the toy train from Delhi - shimla for which I loose a day as the connecting trains from Delhi are gone on our arrival.

Question - Are toy trains for Oct all gone (onward & return), including a new train starting mid Sep?

If yes, is it worthwhile visiting Shimla minus the toy train? If still yes, should we start off with Manali given our interest in snow and reach shimla towards the end of the trip and spend a day on teh way to Delhi?

Day 5 - We are looking to avoid the longish bus ride from Manali to Delhi. The options of manali - chandigadh - delhi or Manali - shimla - delhi does not take me in time for my return journey on 26/10 @ 7:20 AM.

Can you suggest me a way with shortish bus rides? I assume bus is the most comfortable mode of transport for long journeys.

thank you,

AJ

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

You may see if the booking for toy trin is available. You can do Shimla on your way back to Delhi from Manali. Since your time frame is very short break journey could not be suggested. Otherwise a break can be taken at Mandi or Bilaspur in between Delhi and Manali.

Edited: 2:04 am, September 07, 2012
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

I would recommend choose one city and enjoy, you are not doing justice to any buy covering both......its not worth it. These are not cities that can be touched and gone........enjoy the beauty around.

Thanks

Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

thank you Ashish and Rohit for your replies.

This is what I came up with.

21/10 - Arrive Delhi @ 9000 and catch train to Chandigadh, reach @ 19:05 and then catch a bus or taxi to Manali (Problem is we reach Manali extremely late which makes it practically impossible to leave early for local sight seeing, especially the snow pass).

22/10 - Day trip to Rohtang pass and other ares

23/10 - Solang valley and Naggar

24/10 - Leave early morning to Kalka via Manikaran in time for the 12:10 toy train to shimla, check in and local sight seeing

25/10 - Day trip to Kufri, Fagu, Naldehra, Chini (all or some areas). Return to Kalka (taxi) by 17:00 for Shatabdi express. reaching Delhi same night.

26/10 - Return home... leaving Hazrat Nizamuddin station @ 7:20.

Probelm with this schedule is -

21/10 - Chandigadh - Manali leg (bus or taxi) will take us to Manali in the early hours of morning making it practically impossible to leave early for local sight seeing the next morning. As Rohtang pass is closed Tuesday's, we only have Monday to cover that.

Can we cover Rohtang pass and nearby areas if we leave late morning, say 11:00 AM or so?

24/10 - Shoud we go direct to Shimla from Manali and cover toy train on our return leg from Shimla to Kalka for the evening train to Delhi? WIll that be a better instead?

24/10 - 25/10 - Less than a day to spend in Shimla. Forced to reach Delhi on 25/10 itself as bus connection from Shimla to Delhi makes it very tight to catch up return train from Hazrat Nizamuddin @ 7:20 AM.

Can you suggest any changes to help us cover both cities? I note your comment Rohit about chossing only one city and enjoy it fully.

Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

hi Ashish, Rohit,

can you please advise on the concerns mentioned in my previous post?

thanks,

AJ

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

If you wanna save time then you will need to spend a bit more. I understand you will tech Delhi at 9, hire s can and move straight to manali, this way you should reach close to midnight.

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

If you wanna save time then you will need to spend a bit more. I understand you will tech Delhi at 9, hire s can and move straight to manali, this way you should reach close to midnight.

Thanks

Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

thank Rohit for your reply.

We want to avoid long bus/taxi ride hence the train from Delhi - Chandigadh. Unfortunately, earlier train to Chandigadh is booked out and forced to take the 14:00 train.

regards,

AJ

Hyderabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Delhi- Shimla-Manali-Delhi trip

hi Asish, Rohit,

can you help me the problems mentioned specifically in my earlire posts. You two are very knowledgable so can you suggest me the best options please?

regards,

AJ