We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shimla in July

Delhi
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shimla in July

Hi

I am planning Shimla in first week of July.

Have made my booking at Club Mahindras, Mashobra. Please advise the climate there during this period. Further I havent decided on the route further from Kalka to Shimla...whether by taxi or toytrain...have heard toytrain takes too long... however dont wanna miss the scenic beauty n the experience it would provide... please suggest.

Further, please help me draw an itinerary for 4 days so that I am able to explore shimla alongwith adjoining areas.....

Thanx..

Ashish

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,682 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shimla in July

Day1 Arr Shimla, enjoy the Ridge.

Day2 Day trip to Naldehra, Tattapani

Day3 Kufri-Fagu-Chini Bunglow- Naldehra

Day4 Explore - Shimla.

Edited: 8:06 am, May 17, 2012
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shimla in July

Hi AshisDelhi,

I reccomend you to change your plans as Shimla is not fun in July.

Your trip should be as below:

Day 1 - Reach Shimla by toy train around late afternoon / early evening -Choose a hotel on the ridge. 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is peak time on the Mall and Ridge. Freshen up and walk to the scandal point, see the post office and opposite it the telegram office, see the British grills on buildings and the victorian archiitecture, Take pictures especially at the scandal point and fountain, walk the entire Mall and towards 6:15 p.m. walk to the Ridge and spend till as late as u can there. Just sit and enjoy.spend night at Shimla.

Day 2 - Start early by 7 a.m. and Trip to Kufri, Fagu, and then trip to Narkanda - night stay at Narkanda. The Hatu or Tethy's

Day 3 - Check out from Narkanda- reach Shimla. Enjoy Shimla - Ridge, Mall, Churches, Bazaar etc. - night stay at Shimla

Day 4: From Shimla start at 7 a.m. to drive to Mashobra, Craignano, Naldhera and stop for one hour at naldhera, take pictures, move on to Tattapani - explore surroundings, dont miss the rapid boat ride. Night stay at Tattapani. Hotel Hot Springs

Day 5 - From Tattapani, back to Shimla- without any halt continue to Chail. Night stay at Chail(stay at the palace if budget permits).

Day 6 - Check out from Chail , return to Delhi by road.

Hope this helped!

Edited: 5:43 am, May 18, 2012
Delhi
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shimla in July

Thanx Ashish & Vaishali for your valuable inputs.

:)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shimla in July

AshisDelhi,

Do not miss the journey by toy train.

Have fun!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shimla in July

Hi AshisDelhi,

This year we are experiencing unusual weather conditions in North India. We have monsoony conditions in May when we were expecting scorching sun. I am anticipating monsoon to hit Shimla around 23rd June and first heavy showers on or before 29th June. Shimla has very heavy showers that sometimes dont stop for 24 hours or even more.

Try and choose another time for your trip.

Hope this helped!

Arlandastad, Sweden
Level Contributor
427 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shimla in July

how is end August ?

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,682 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shimla in July

yaris y

Even August is not a suitable time to visit Shimla. October would be safe to travel there.

AshisRoy

Edited: 10:13 am, May 23, 2012
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shimla in July

Yaris y,

End august is very heavy monsoon. You may visit anytime after 15th Sept.

Oct 20th onwards is very foggy.

So 15-Sept to 15-Oct is perfect.

Hope this helped!

Delhi
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shimla in July

Vaishali

Thanx for the update. However I have my resort booking in place which I cannot change.

In that case how can i plan my trip without having to move around too much?

I want to relax and chill out on this trip without having to do much travelling.

One more thing... Regarding the toy train... Himalayan Queen... Do I necessarily need to make a pre-booking or I can get a ticket instantly too? I heard from someone that another train option is that single bogey engines ply on that route from Kalka to Shimla. Is that a viable option? How can I go about it?

Thanx

ashish

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shimla in July

AshisDelhi,

The single bogey engine is called Rail Motor. It is a good option. Pls prefer to book your tickets in advance whether in other 3 trains or Rail Motor.

Try and be on the ridge and mashobra. Cancel the rest of the plans as they will be no fun in rains.

BR,