We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long to Stay in Dehli?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston usa
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How Long to Stay in Dehli?

Hi there,

I'm heading to India for the first time in about 5 weeks. I'm excited and everyone's posts here are very helpful for accomodations and trains etc. What I'm asking for now is an opinion...

I'm going for over 2 weeks and hope to do the following:

2 days,Delhi to Agra- train

2 days, Agra to Jaipur- train

3 days Jaipur to Jodhpur- train

2 days Jodhpur to Jaisalmer- train

3 days Jaisalmer to Jodhpur- night train

Jodhpur to Jaipur- train

2 days Jaipur to Delhi- plane

I'm going to try and squeeze in Varanasi by plane.

Is this too much?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

I'd say you should be covered with 2 days in Delhi. You can probably spend one day in Old Delhi (Red Fort, Chandni Chowk, Jama Masjid) and one day in New Delhi (Humayun's Tomb, Qutab Minar, museums). And leave time for shopping, if that's a priority for you!

You definitely have a packed itinerary, but as long as you don't mind spending a lot of your time on trains, you should be fine. And you'll be exhausted at the end of your trip, but it will be worth it.

Enjoy your travels!

boston usa
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

that's good solid advice TravellingHoya. thank you kindly for that. where did you stay in dehli

boston usa
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

Ooops, sorry i was being lazy. i've seen your previous post regarding accomodation. suggestion duly noted. thanks for the help!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
279 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

your itinerary implies that you'd be staying in agra for 2 full days, is that correct?

in my opinion that's a wee bit much....there are maybe two or three things to see and that's about it. i arrived in agra at 8:00 am and was gone by noon. i personally didn't care for agra at all (except for the taj mahal of course, which was absolutely breathtaking...).

add an additonal day to your stay in jaipur or jodhpur. you won't regret it.

heidi

http://yatrikheidi.blogspot.com

rowephotography@comcast.net

jaipur,india
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

good packed tour tribesman. dont forget the mosquito repellant an d sun screen lotions as days will get warmer in late feb onwards.

jaisalmer at night will be cold so a jacket is a must. try to do a day safari on a camel while in jaisalmer.....if your back can stand the camel rocking that is!!!

you have enough time in agra so sit and watch taj the whole day and see the marble change colour from morn to noon to evening, the beauty will take yur breath away. the next day see the little taj called itmatudaullah which actually inspired the taj to be made.

the agra fort and the shrine where u can get yur wishes fulfilled is another must at agra. have a leisure trip to agra and not a rushed one like other tourists do.....

one day at taj gazing at the tomb will be enough to keep u dreaming for a lifetime....one needs to be inspired at this time and age of violence and conflict..dont u agree?

any queries u have about jaipur, i will be ready to help.

jajabor

shomad@sify.com

boston usa
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

Great advice. Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

If you want to go to Jaiselmer you should try to book your train tickets before you go as Jodhpur - Jaiselmer tickets are like gold dust as there are not that many trains and they are booked up ages in advance. You can book all train tickets now on the internet which makes it much more user friendly rather than standing in endless queues for tickets when OAPs and women can push in just when you get to the front of the queue!

I personally would not try to include Varanasi in your schedule as you will be exhausted and it is a very different vibe to the other places you are going. Like Pushkar it is full of wasted old hippies - attracted, no doubt, by the easy access to bhang (dope).

I have just come back from India and can recommend really nice places to stay in Jaipur and Jodhpur. No where is really good in Agra as they are all ghastly. Hope this helps.

8. Re: How Long to Stay in Dehli?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about New Delhi