We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

I am travelling to india from the UK. Please advise me on the duration of these train trips so I can best work out whether to take internal flights or train-it!

I need the trip to be as cost-effective as possible as 4 adults and 1 child will be travelling together.

Please help me with this...

Here goes my questions (sorry there is quite a few):

- How long is the TRAIN to journey from Mumbai to Jaipur ?

(What class should I book - what is the cost roughly for the ticket?)

- What is the best way to get from Jaipur - Agra ?

- Then from Agra to Dehli?

How far is Dehli from Chennai? Does it require a flight? Any tips on airlines?

or is there any luxury trains one can take that can be a bit of a tourist experience whilst getting me to my destination of Chennai? Do you what they cost?

From Chennai I need to go to Banglore. Whats the best way to do that (Train again ? - if so - how long is journey?)

From Bangalore I want to go to Kerala...whats the best mode of transport? and how long does it take to get there ?

From Kerala I want to go to Goa - Best way??? and how long will it take to get there?

Then back up to Mumbai from Goa....

Please help me with this....you are all so clued up about travelling in India and it will be my mothers and my first time to the "motherland" - we are South Africans and are so excited about this trip. I really want the travelling to work out well.

Thanking you in advance,

Tish

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,497 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

Three trains from Mumbai to Jaipur:

2955 - BCT JP EXPRESS - departure 18:50 arrival 12:55 runs on all days of the week

9707 - ARAVALI EXPRESS - departure 21:00 arrival 18:45 runs on all days of the week

2977 - MARU SAGAR EXP - departure 21:15 arrival 14:05 runs only Mondays

Fare is INR 1000 person for airconditioned 3-tier. Non air-con Sleeper Class is INR 400 per person.

You'll sleep overnight in the train, so you'll save the cost of boarding for the night.

There are trains from Jaipur to Agra and Agra to Delhi as well.

From Delhi I suggest you fly into Chennai. Its too far by train, nearly 30 hours, 2 nights on the train.

Train number 2616 G T EXPRESS departs Delhi 18:40 and arrives in Chennai 06:15 a.m.

Chennai Bangalore by train is 6 hours, thats the best way to do that.

Bangalore to Kerala, I'd suggest flying into Trivandrum, and similarly, Trivandrum to Goa by flight.

You are cramming too many things into this itinerary, if I may say so. You planning to be here for a couple of months?

- Deepa

cja
Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

You may to switch around some of your destinations. For example, from Jaipur, u can also consider flying from Jaipur to Mumbai to Chennai. I took this flight [one way] via Spicejet and it was about INR 4496 or just over US$100.

There are now so many discount airlines in India that prices are quite competitive. You may want to do this at the latter part once you get tired of the long rides.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

You haven't indicated how long you plan to be visiting-this is a trip which will take quite some time, considering the distances. The Indian Railways website ( www.icrtc.com) will give you more information.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

Mumbai to Jaipur is 18hrs Journey, you can try on a LowCost Airlines and if you are booking in advance you may get for around $70

Jaipur to Agra is 5hrs Journey so you can go for it, there is a day journey Train so choose AC Chair Car.

2987 JP GWL INTRCITY JAIPUR 06:10 AGRA CANTT 10:52

Agra to Delhi is 2-3hrs so go by Train, take Shatabdi Express which is best and takes 2hs.

Delhi to Chennai Train takes around 30hrs, go for a lowcost airlines spicejet, goindgo

Chennai to Bangalore is 6hrs Journey if travelled by Shatabdi Express other Trains would take 7-8hrs

Bangalore to Cochin is 12hrs and its a overnight journey.

If travelling on overnight Trains go for minimum AC 3Tier or AC2 Tier and for day journey Trains go for AC Chair Car. Whereever you find Rajadhani & Shatadbi Express go for it as they are premium trains with all food served.

London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

Thank you all for your responses. It is very helpful and I am now planning my trip on your advice.

My one question is:

Are there trains that go form Bangalore to Munnar (Kerala)??? - as I am trying not to back-track as much as possible and if I go straight to Munnar and stay 2 nights and I can then leave from Munnar to Cochin and do my backwater resort holiday and go from Cochin to Alleppey

(return) on the houseboat.

Please let me know what options i have with this in mind.

Thanks

Tish

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

The nearest Railway Station to Munnar is Aluva but not much difference from Cochin just around 20kms distance between Aluva and Cochin. The distance from Cochin to Munnar is approx 130kms so for better connectivity you can plan from Cochin i guess.

Again the Train from Bangalore does not stop at Aluva.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

From bangalor to munnar. The best option would be on buses since its a hilly resort town. The cheapest and best bet would be take a bus from bangalore to munnar directly. Its a over night trip costs Rs 450/ .$ 10 . check with this site www.kpntravels.in to book the tickets.

new york
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

Hi

I hope i am not bein cheeky i plan to go india too (next yr mar 2008) and would like to go to south india cheapest way by train & would like to know if its possible to gett around by train covering:-

Bombay/Agra taj mahal/goa and anything else inbetween for two weekes?

any suggestions would be great i.e if you can thinkg of any other interesting places i can visit on the way? places to see in the areas? if cheaper to bk here or direct & where i.e website links? & nice cheap hotels i could stay in? also where i can bk my train tickets i.e websites etc?

I am british female and wil be travelling by myself so semi nice area that hav shops/walking distances to restuarants would be fab

9. Re: TRAIN / Travelling advise please!!! (1st time to India)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 28, 2009