We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

Bucuresti
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

I will be staying for only a few days in Delhi, on a very high level official visit. Accomodation is beeing taken charge of. I'll probably have very limited time on my own - mostly in the late evenings. Still, I would like to do a little shopping. Would I find anything open? Is there acceptable to pay in US dollars (or euros) in shops, restaurants or cabs?

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

You will need to pay all of them in Indian Rupees only so you need to exchange some Indian Currency before you land in India. I think only a few 5* Hotels accept in US/UK Currency apart from that anything else would be some personal/mutual between you and the other person. So dont expect that you can pay in other currnecies.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

Yu have two choices-one is to convert some of your currency into Indian rupees at a curenncy counter/exchange bureau at the airport. The other is to use your credit card while shopping/eating out. The best bet is to have some funds in Indian rupees AND use your card.

Bucuresti
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

How much money should I change? I don't want to be left with rupees unspent.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

It would be quite difficult to mention the exact currency you need to exchange. Considering you are coming on official visit and most of the expenditure would be taken care, you may exchange around $100 and balance using the Credit Card. Infact assuming all of the Hotels, Shopping if done on Credit Cards (depends upon the shops/hotels you visit) and the Cash is only used for Transport and Tips then even $50 or less will do.

5. Re: Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:13 pm, October 21, 2006
6. Re: Can I pay in US dollars or euros, or rupees are a must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 26, 2009