We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to buy Saree for wedding

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need to buy Saree for wedding

My husband and I will be attending a Jain wedding in Udaipur in May for the daughter of our US (Indian) neighbors. I am a Western woman, and I would like to purchase a saree to wear to the wedding. We will be in New Delhi for 4 days prior to the wedding (staying near Connaught Place), and I would welcome suggestions on where to go to buy the saree where I would feel comfortable, they could cater to a tall western woman, and I could get it done in 3-4 days.

31 replies to this topic
New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

Around connaught place also plenty of shops. but for wedding wear saari you can visit South ex and Lajpat nagar market.

Also karol bagh. chandni chok katra market is for hole sales so try in above suggestions.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

I would advise you at visit the store of a famous designer Satya Paul at Karol Bagh.

It's address is:

17-A/61, Ajmal Khan Road

Karol Bagh, New Delhi, Ph: +91-11-45633404 / +919873457345

They have some top class designer sarees. A weblink here http://www.satyapaul.com/the-sarees.html

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

In Connaught Place , there are 03 or 04 good Saree shops , you can visit anyone - Shops Name - Nalli , Chabra 555, Uttams . All are fixed price shop. If more explore can go Tamil Nadu, Karnataka or UP Emporium for good Silk saree of Varanasi & kanjivaram of South. All are in vicinity of Connaught Place.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

Hi,

Since you will be staying in New Delhi near Connaught Place, You can go to Nalli Silk Sarees ,P-7/90, Connaught Place, http://www.nallisilks.com/web/newdelhi/ . They have Quality Product and fixed priced shop.

I sincerely congrats you for giving Saree a try ,for marriage . Its wonderful Idea. Enjoy Indian tradition.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

Nalli sarees at connaught place is good place to get a good tradditional silk saree that last for generations. I recommend nalli sarees connaught place ......GO there

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

You can go to lajpat nagar .There are variety of shop avaliable. Also if you are looking for wedding photographer just look on the here http://photographers.canvera.com/

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

Hi Married_40_something,

Connaught Place has several saree shops which you may try looking, however shops at Karol Bag & Lajpat Nagar as well have good collections. Since you are a first timer to saree, you need to know that though the saree is a readymade apparel, there are accessories to be wore along with saree, which will have to be tailor made for you and may take a day or two, so make sure that you get that done by the same shop as per your measurements. Another traditional Indian wedding dress for ladies is lehnga, in case you are attending more than one function at the wedding you may want to explore that option as well.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
263 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

Best place for you to buy saree would be Karol Bagh as there are n number of shops selling sarees. Being summer, don't buy silk sarees. Chiffon would be a better option. As you have not worn a saree before, explore buying a pre-stitched saree as that would be easy to wear and manage.

Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

There are a number of places you can visit... i would suggest you to visit shahpur jat...this place offers a really great variety of designer dresses including suits and sarees... am sure you would pick atleast one thing from here... its near sirifort auditorium... and also you can visit frontier raas in south ex market or ctc mall near moti nagar/rajouri garden... i recently had a marriage in my family and bought really good stuff from all of these places...please dont go to markets like cannaught place and lajpat nagar without trying all the above places...

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to buy Saree for wedding

you can buy it from nearest city noida and you can book hall in new delhi in suryaa hotel @ http://www.thesuryaa.com/wedding.html

Reply to: Need to buy Saree for wedding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted