We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

uk
Level Contributor
345 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

Hi

I am planning a short first time trip to delhi and can't decide how to do it and would appreciate any advice or pointers. Also can't decide on area to stay i would like to be somewhere central to the attractions and lively. Not keen on brand names or malls, prefer more local markets. I am firstly spending 10 days in Nepal then flying to Delhi:

Wed: 1/2 in Delhi…just will check out a few sights

Thurs: Train to Agra and return back at night,

Fri: Full day sightseeing…..using the metro/rickshaws/my feet.

Saturday: Sightseeing

Now…i have the option of staying 2 extra days in DEL and flying back on on the following tues (so Sunday+Monday)….. one other place i would really like to see is Rishikesh/Haridwar to see the ganga aarti, if i fly to Dehra Dun on Sunday AM and fly back to DEL on Monday PM ….would this be worth it? I know it will be rushed which i don't mind but the other option i have is to fly to Dubai on Sunday and spend a few days there before flying straight to the UK on tues. I don't think i want to spend those extra 2 days in Delhi.

Thanks

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

Hi

your plan looking good try to haridwar by train or car

its easier then flight and you have more flexibility in visit to haridwar and Rishikesh.

Cheers

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,614 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

My suggestion is the following:

OPTION 1

Wed - Arrive Delhi from Kathmandu, Delhi sightseeing relaxed half day - Lotus Temple, Dilli Haat sound and light show at Red Fort or Purana Qila

Thu - Delhi sightseeing full day - Humayun's Tomb, Qutb Complex, New Delhi, Old Delhi

Fri - Train or drive to Agra, see Agra Fort, Itmad-ud-daulah, Sikandra. Sunset view of Taj from other side of river

Sat - Visit Taj Mahal at sunrise, return to Delhi via Fatehpur Sikri

Sun - Fly to Dubai

OPTION 2

Wed - Arrive Delhi from Kathmandu, Delhi sightseeing half day

Thu - Train to Haridwar, transfer to Rishikesh. Evening Ganga arati

Fri - Rishikesh sightseeing and transfer to Haridwar. Evening Ganga arati

Sat - Haridwar sightseeing and evening train to Delhi

Sun - Day excursion to Agra

Mon - Delhi sightseeing and fly to Dubai

Edited: 8:58 pm, February 23, 2014
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,614 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

OPTION 3

Wed - Arrive Delhi from Kathmandu, Delhi sightseeing half day

Thu - Drive 5hrs to Jaipur. Afternoon sightseeing

Fri - Jaipur sightseeing

Sat - Drive to Agra via Sikri. Sunset view of Taj

Sun - Visit Taj Mahal and Agra Fort, drive to Delhi

Mon - Delhi sightseeing and fly out

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

Hi Jon

There are lots of options to stay in Central Delhi.You have to decide your budget.I would recommend hotels in Karol Bagh or Pahargunj.Both have many budget hotels.If you are coming with family I would recommend you to stay in Karol Bagh. As luck would have it ,I did a Recee trip in search of Karol Bagh hotels and my favourite is hotel Gulnar.There is an in house restuarant too. Can't comment on the services but the rooms are spic and span.The bathrooms are hygienic and there is plenty of light .

Karol Bagh is one of the biggest markets in Delhi.Lots of shops are there.For shopping Janpath and Emporiums are great idea.Emporiums of different states stock products from all over India but they shut down at 6 pm.Transportation is not a problem.To get a feel of india you can travel in rickshaws.They are fun.Won't recommend you buses .Metro too is fast and convenient .

I am sure you must have short listed places to see in Delhi.For rest tripadvisor is there.

Why have you chosen Dehradun out of all places ? There is nothing there,trust you me.Rishikesh is a great idea.

Really don't know much about Dubai but it is a hot tourist destination,so you can give it a shot.

I hope you fall in love with Delhi and come back to visit it. :)

uk
Level Contributor
345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

hi thanks for the suggestions! I have decided to not go Dubai and spend those 2 days extra in India as i am paying a lot for the VISA etc. I was just thinking of dehradhun to fly into from DEL and get to Rishikesh faster..however now will be taking the train and spending 1 night in rishikesh and 1 night haridwar. Jaipur sounds interesting but it will wont have time this trip and would rather go to rishikesh.

Just need to think if Agra overnight is worth it

Does anyone know the best way to book train tickets? Online seems to be confusing.

Wed: DEL ½ day – 2/3 sights

Thurs: Agra via train for 1 day

Fri: DEL full day

Sat – AM train to Haridwar

Sun – Rishikesh

Mon: AM Train to DEL...PM in DEL

Tues: 1 or 2 hours in the morning before flight home.

6. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:49 am, March 03, 2014
7. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, March 03, 2014
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,614 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

Go to seat61.com and read up the India train section, for detailed advice and photos of the train booking process. You can book via cleartrip dot com.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

Hello Jon,

Hope you have gathered enough information through the expert TAs.

Well its pretty hard for the foreigners to book the train tickets in India, so to make it convenient first choose a hotel you wish to stay in ( better look for Karol Bagh area ) and then ask hotel guys to book the train tickets for you.

The Itinerary would be like.. :-

Wed :- 1/2 Day India Gate/Old Fort ( Light and Sound Show )

delhievents.com/2011/01/sound-and-light-show…

Thurs :- Agra Day Trip ( Train/Coach/Taxi)

Friday :- Delhi Full Day ( HoHo Bus full day sightseeing/Taxi/Coach/Metro etc)

Saturday :- Morning Train to Haridwar ( Dehradun Shatabdi is the best option ) take a holy dip in the Ganga and experience the enchanting Arti in the evening.

Sunday :- Rishikesh Visit the temples of Rishikesh and if you have time then you may do River Rafting as well.

Monday :- take the Dehradun Delhi Janshtabdi back to Delhi. Do some rest and visit shopping sites or malls like Delhi Haat, Vastan Kunj ( Promenade/ Ambiance Mall ) , Saket ( Select City Walk ) etc

Tuesday :- Leave home with happy memories.. :)

Regards

Piyush

new delhi
Level Contributor
139 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice for 4-5 days Delhi

IRCTC website is the best, but you can also try portals like Make My Trip and Cleartrip that offer rail bookings.

Ideal mode would be to travel by the Shatabdi Express ( services both Agra and Rishikesh).