We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

My wife and I arrived in India 14 days ago with plans to travel the country for our honeymoon.

We were recommended to go to the Government Tour Agency at Connaught Place, their address and contact details are below:

1, Municipal Market, State Entry Rd. Corner, Connaught Circus, New Delhi

+91- 11- 23360657

The actual name of this agent is Primero Travel & Tours which we found out only after we purchased the tour.

These guys are stating that they are government tour operators and are fraudulently charging 5-6 times what a tour should be worth. Their slogan at the front of the building states “Tourist Only”.

We organized a 26 day tour with Primero Tours and were charged over $7,200 Australian dollars which works out to be $280 per day. Expensive for India!

The hotel standards that were promised were not met. Bharat one of the salesmen we dealt with categorically promised us an above 5 star tour of Rajasthan and a 12 day tour through Kerala “6 stars, better than 5 star Palaces” was his punch line. It’s all a play on words, as we discovered a very cheap hotel can have the word Palace in the name. When he offers packages, he will suggest a “deluxe” package or an “economy” package. "Deluxe" is a cover for the rooms he will book you in. Deluxe rooms in Indian hotels are the cheapest rooms available.

They ended up putting us in $40-60 per night accommodation. The cheapest hotels that he could get away with. According to our calculations that we checked online at the hotel websites during each stay, accommodation for the whole tour would have cost around $1300 AU. On top of getting scammed on the price, 2 of the 3 hotels we stayed at before leaving the tour, were undergoing significant renovations. The hotel experiences were unacceptable, with air conditioners rattling and dripping on us through the night. The food quality was terrible, my wife still has food poisoning 4 days since we have arrived home. The electrics would often not work, or be totally faulty... fuses popping, TV’s not working. No hot water at all. The pools were a sales pitch and weren’t even functional, besides being used as an oversized bird bath, one pool had a building supply metal pole hanging out of it.

From a tour perspective we were told that camel safari’s / elephant safari’s and local tour services would be provided. Besides having a driver, nothing that they promised as part of the tour was followed through with. The drivers, although nice people, were not travel guides and would rarely have any idea where the hotels were located, let alone did they have ideas for site seeing. On one occasion, arriving in Jodphur, we spent over an hour and half trying to find the hotel. The Marugarh “Palace” was subsequently 28km out of town.

We were promised a Government van as transportation, which didn’t happen. The tour was handled with a small compact sedan. Not that this is a big issue, it was just further lies to build trust.

Once we paid the money up front their story started to change. The 6 star Palaces that we were promised became heritage hotels the following day when we picked up our travel documents. Calling the hotels we stayed at “heritage” is a far fetch. The men's names that organized this scam were, Mahinder and Bharat, they are crooked criminals who will lie to your face about what they will offer. On more than one occasion we asked them if this tour was legitimate as we have heard of people getting ripped off. They looked us in the face, talked about their “karma” and that they wouldn’t be making much profit and tried to pretend that they were our friends. They even offered us a free nights accommodation in The Royal Plaza [New Delhi] as a sign of good faith. This is just a carrot they dangle to build the relationship. The hotel, although nice, is only $120 per night. A small price to pay for them before they steal thousands of your dollars.

Finally on arrival back to Australia I found a fraudulent transaction on my credit card for over $1500. Whether or not this is directly linked to Primero Travels is under investigation by my bank. But chances are more than likely that if it wasn’t primero directly it is one of the dodgy “hotels” that the company put us in.

Coming from a country where buyer protection is regulated and where companies are in a position to be accountable to their customers is a weakness that they will prey on. You expect them to do what you pay for. They will take your money because you so willingly give it over.

Avoid this company at all costs and book the transport and accommodation yourself. You will save yourself time, money, and the headache of dealing with thieves.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

Dear Sir,

I personally feel sorry for what happen with you in India, Yes there are some travel agencies which promise to deliver a relaxed tour program but failed to fulfill that promise.

The information which you have provided will be helpful for others and might be due to this information, other travelers will be saved from such kind of incidents.

Regards

Arpit

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

Thats all we can hope for, is that this info helps others avoid the same fate. From reading other parts of the website, we aren't the first travellers this has happened to.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

Good that you share your experience here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

Hi, we are four Australians currently travelling in India. We are in the middle of an 8 day tour, booked with primero travel. We have faced the same hardship that you bot endured. We are all fed up, exhausted and wanting the headache to end. Did you try to recover any money from primero tours ?

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

It is sad that you are also undergoing the same experience. You can go to their office in Delhi and can sort things out before leaving this country.

6. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, January 19, 2014
Stanthorpe...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

I also am sorry about your experience. For anyone reading these blogs I can recommend Raj Raushan (rajraushan.18@gmail.com). He is only a young man starting out, but he organized our 20 day tour of Rajasthan and into the Punjab in Oct/Nov 2013 and he was marvellous. Sometimes the hotels were a 'bit ordinary', but nothing we couldn't cope with, and no worse than some outback hotels in Australia. The cost of the tour was incredibley reasonable and most of all....at all times we (2 mature aged ladies) felt absolutely safe. We had no 'Delhi belly' problems, saw everything we wanted and more....Raj's surprises....and had superior guides at all the major tourist places we visited. Raj was 'on call' at all hours, and always waiting for us in our hotel lobby at the appointed time each morning. His English in emails is improving, but spoken English is fine. He is fun to be with!

Barbara

Stanthorpe Qld Aust

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

Dear Original poster -

I have read in detail your long complaint about Primero Tours. Unfortunately, apart from the rant, it is very sketchy on details. If you can post the following information, I can tell you clearly if you were cheated or overcharged, or whether what you paid was normal.

Names of hotels and number of nights in each hotel

Model of the car

Whether you had local guides in each place

What meals, entrances or other rides were included

All trips are booked with a written proposal, did you get one, and what did it promise you? I suggest that if you wish to post complaints, please be specific so that the facts are clear. You spent 26 nights in India + 1 additional night and that obviously is going to cost money. Contrary to what travellers imagine, hotels in India are not all cheap, many are expensive. So please post some specific hotel names etc and it will help not only others, but also yourself in understanding things better. I am happy to spend some time and effort investigating what such a holiday should cost.

If you have been completely ripped off, you can definitely complain to the authorities, but it would be good to ascertain the facts before you do so.

Kind Regards

Deepa

9. Re: Primero Travel and Tours - New Delhi Crooks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 21, 2015