We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to India- Delhi

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
1 post
Save Topic
First trip to India- Delhi

Hello everyone :)

I am looking for any advice. Myself and my husband are planning a trip to Delhi the beginning of August. I know this is the rainy season so I would like to know will the rain be so heavy it will stop us sight seeing?

I would really love to visit the Taj Mahal and some other temples. Any other tips on where to visit in or near delhi?

I would also love to take a trip to the himalayas but what would the mountains be like at this time of year?

Any advice would be great :)

Many thanks

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

Hi,

You are welcome on your trip to India. Well no need to worry usually it does not rain much in Delhi an Agra in August Just carry umbrella it doesn't rain continuously . Delhi it self has lots of places try doing golden triangle tour , Delhi / Agra /Jaipur it is well connected by Road and Train from Delhi.. India is quite big country rich in culture , heritage and Nature so it has all kind of tourism so come up up with you stay duration and than it will be easy to guide you.

Happy Travelling....

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

As mentioned in above post rain will not affect your travel plans in north India. For hills you can go to Nainital or Shimla.

You can make an overnight trip to Agra to see Taj mahal in early morning at sunrise and other monuments at day time. Note that Taj is closed on Friday so plan your visit accordingly.

deepak

3. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:09 am, August 13, 2013
Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

As far as rain is concerned it will not affect much on your s/s/ tour....you can carry Umbrella/Raincoat.

Day trip to Agra can be done by train /car from Delhi....if possible a night is highly suggested........Please come up with the duration of stay in India.

Thanks and Regards

Rashid Agra

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

Hi,

In August , you may face heavy rain specially in Mountains and also can marred your sight -seeing schedule.Perhaps, rain will not disturb your schedule of visiting Delhi - Agra- Jaipur. As I do not know for how long you are planning to visit India so the suggestion is based on 02 weeks travel as below :

Day 01 Delhi

Day 02 Delhi

Day 03 Delhi - Agra

Day 04 Agra- Jaipur

Day 05 Jaipur

Day 06 Jaipur- Delhi

Day 07 Delhi - Srinagar/ Leh

Spend a week and come to Delhi for onward journey.

It is high season for Leh , if you plan for leh book flihght tickets ASAP.

Hari Mangal

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

As India is rich in culture , heritage and nature so you can explore any part of India of your choice and interest.

Golden Triangle Tour ( Delhi-Agra-Jaipur )is always suggested to the first timer and your plans will not be affected by the rains too.

Regards,

Arun

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

For the mountains, I would suggest you go to Ladakh in the Himalayas. It is a dry high altitude cold desert with breathtakingly beautiful scenery and August is a good time to go there. There are non-stop flights from Delhi to Leh, so this is really easy. Including Leh, you can plan 5-6 days in Ladakh. There are some BEAUTIFUL camps, please see this link: http://campsofladakh.com/

Edited: 9:20 am, July 15, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

You don't say how long you have for the trip.

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

Thank you all so so much for your replies.

It has been great reading all your responses.

It seems to be that some people think there won't be much rain and some say there might be heavy rain. I guess it just depends.

I am glad to know that it won't affect my travels too much.

just need to figure out vaccines. We wont have much time to plan as my husband is only just coming back from the US to live with me.

Anyway we are hoping to go for at least 2 weeks.

Do you think it will be long enough to experience this part of India?

I am so excited to visit the temples, experience the culture and landscape. Also Indian food is my favourite so I can't wait to try the real deal.

Many thanks to all!

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to India- Delhi

I can't say much about the rain as I haven't been in Delhi in August. But I wouldn't let it stop you from making your plans. I just had friends visit Kerala and Goa. They were each told it would be rainy the whole time and not to go. They went and had great times!

As for places to visit in Delhi (I see you have gotten many good suggestions for around Delhi) some of my favorites are Qutb Minar, the Lotus Temple, Gandhi Smriti formerly known as Birla House. Be aware that many places are closed on Mondays, but not all. So just double check as you are making your plans.