We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first time in India ... need advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
My first time in India ... need advice!

Hi all, in November I'll be spending a couple of weeks in India to attend 2 weddings, one close by Delhi and the other in Mumbai.

I am planning to spend 3-4 days in Delhi (and obviously have a day trip to the Taj), then fly to Mumbai and spend few days there before heading for Goa (where there'll be the celebrations for the second wedding I'm attending).

I would like to know what's best to do in Delhi for 3-4 days, what's the best part of the city to stay and if you can actually recommend any good hotel. I also love Indian food and would love to know where's safe to eat. A good friend of mine got cholera when he last stayed in India because he had street food and I'd like that not to happen.

Also, at the risk of falling into a big cliche, I'd like to know if there's any serious yoga/meditation center you might recommend and where I could possibly take some cooking classes.

Last but not least, any tips about clothing, local customs etc. are all more than welcomed.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tip you can provide me with!

Sara

1. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, July 12, 2013
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

November is one of the best times to be in Delhi.Depending on your budget you could consider a B & B with a family in Jor Bagh or Saket,If at Jor Bagh .You can try the food at Eatopia at the India Habitat Centre. Here you would get to sample street food but in a relatively safe and clean environment. You could have lunch at Chor Bizarre on Asaf Ali Road after your tour of the Red Fort area.

Khan Market, ( more pricey, Fab India/Anokhi) or Sarojini Market could be the places you could pick up Indian clothes of your choice. For Agra you may like to consider taking a car and leaving from Delhi post lunch and spending a night at Agra.This will allow you to see the Taj either late evening or early morning.

For yoga you could try Bharat Thakur's studio.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

My suggestions:

Hotel: please post a budget, then I can recommend something sensible.

Yoga: http://www.theyogastudio.info/classes.htm - she handles a lot of overseas visitors, and it's easy to set up short sessions.

Shopping: Please message me if you want my Shopping Guide to Delhi's bazaars

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
690 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

Enjoy your visit to India. I've been fortunate to have made 3 trips to India in the past 7 years. There is no other country where I have wanted to leave immediately one day, and then wish I could stay forever the next day. It is such a wonderful country, full of contrasts. I have met the most generous people, who are also the poorest, and some totally corrupt well-off individuals.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

Regarding post 3.

Here is a travel agent - A Destination expert for India - asking a new member - a potential client - to send private message, so that she could send a private "Shopping Guide" by mail. And this is not the first time she ask the potential clients to send her a PM. PM facilities are clearly abused here.

In another forum tripadvisor.com/…51241052

she complaints about a simple recommendation about a guide.

It is high time to disable the PM facilities of DE s who misuse it to ensure the trust and reputation of this great forum.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

Suresh, there are some unscrupulous agents who follow everything I do and say, and I am afraid they will copy my well-researched information and pass it off as their own.

For example, I worked very hard on a map of the Hill Forts of Rajasthan that were recently declared a UNESCO world heritage site, and I have no intention of handing that map out freely to other agents who don't have half the knowledge or are too lazy to do this kind of work for their own clients.

But I am happy to give it to anyone who is a genuine tourist and asks for it. In any case, it is something I need to email to people and so I need their email ids.

Similarly, I have used my knowledge and expertise to select a list of shops and things to do in Delhi, and I am certainly not about to publish it freely for other agents to misuse.

That's why certain information I don't want to put on the TA forum, and I will only give it through private message to a genuine traveller.

You can complain if you wish. I will take it up with TA moderators if necessary.

Please stop obsessively trailing every post I make. I know that in the past people (including myself) have reported your repeated and blatant spamming of the forums and eventually you lost your DE badge.

I assure you that in my very long posting history here of 10000+ messages, there is very little advertising about my work. Most visitors to the forums don't even know I work in the travel industry. Almost everyone finds my advice on travel to India, do's and don'ts to be a very valuable resource. If I wanted to convert this into business, I would be here under the name of my agency, and I assure you, given the quality of what I write, my business will at least double if I do that. But I don't. Because I currently don't want to use this forum in that way.

Please, keep that green-eyed monster under check, and don't lecture me about ethics.

Edited: 12:48 am, July 13, 2013
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

Hi,

3-4 Days is enough for Delhi but you can also visit to Agra in 3-4 days.

1st day Delhi to Agra on the way you can stop Mathura VRINDAVAN then check in Agra hotel.

Evening time you can see light and sound show in KALAKRITI. 1:30 hour show. After that you can dinner in INDIANA restaurant which is rated by Tripadvisor. Night stay in Agra.

2nd Day early morning sunrise Taj Mahal. After that visit to Agra fort & Baby Taj. And you can buy some small present of marble for memorable Taj for your friends and family members. Which are very cheap. After finish all things you can come back to Delhi. Night stay in Delhi hotel.

3rd Day you can Delhi sightseeing. Old & new Delhi. Jama Mosque, Red fort, Raj ghat, India gate, Himanyu’s tomb, lotus temple, Qutub minar, Akshardham Temple, Birla temple. These are monuments of Delhi.

For shopping you can go to Chandni chock market which is located in old Delhi. Near the Red fort. Just walking distance from Red fort.

For spices & Tea: you can visit Khari Baoli Spice Market Asia’s largest spice market in old Delhi.

Hotel location: you can stay at karol bagh area nice area center of Delhi. Near Karol Bagh Metro Station

Walking Distance Karol Bagh Shopping Center

2 kms from New Delhi Railway Station

7 kms from Old Delhi Railway station.

13 Kms from Nizamuddin Railway Station.

15 Kms from Domestic.

18 Kms from International airport

Transport: Indigo car with air condition.

Pick up from airport Rupees 1000/-

Drop airport Rupees 500/-

Delhi Sightseeing Rupees 1000/-

Agra overnight Rupees 5000/- for two person

Taj mahal Ticket Rupees 750/- per person

Agra fort ticket Rupees 250/- per peson

Edited: 3:16 am, July 13, 2013
Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

I would strongly recommend staying a night in Agra as you'll enjoy seeing the Taj both at Sunset and Sunrise.

I would also suggest adding Jaipur to your plans and do the complete Golden Triangle trip as Jaipur has so much to offer in terms of food, shopping and monuments.

Delhi has a large number of homestays/BnB and quite a lot of them are high quality places located at prime locality, you can look up the hotel list on TA and see the BnB section for the entire list.

Happy Traveling, Sunil

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

Deepa_krishnan

I was never a "Destination expert" in Trip advisor.

So, I never lost any badge here.

I never had any of my posts deleted because of spam.

The post objected by you about "Spend a day with elephant" in kerala, still remains in the forum.

My post were deleted because of personal remarks (only one) and others by my own request.

We all have private maps / programmes which we do not wish to share with other agents.

This could be appeling to the potential clients. By presenting them, we can also impress clients.

Earlier one of your post were removed because, you asked the visitor to PM you, so that you could send some photographs. You often ask them to PM you. That is why I ask the moderatos to remove the PM facility of DEs who misuse it.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My first time in India ... need advice!

Reg post 6.

" Please stop obsessively trailing every post I make.."

I am not trailing you. I am pointing out a misuse of PM by DE of India who has maximum number of post in TA.

But you had wrote here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297633-i7524-k504…

"I will be watching your posts and if this self-promotion continues,...

Post number 17.

You choose to reply with personal remarks which are self explanatory.

Like:

" Please, keep that green-eyed monster under check, and don't lecture me about ethics."

"I know that in the past people (including myself) have reported your repeated and blatant spamming of the forums and eventually..

That is a lie only to fool the new members.

The fact is that more than 2 of your disputed posts are removed by my efforts.

This is one of them : tripadvisor.com/…37421393

I wrote this to clarify and not to argue with you.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala