We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi to Naina Tal

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi to Naina Tal

My son (19) and I are planning a trip to India next March/April.

It is something I have wanted to do all my life and am looking forward to sharing the experience with my son.

We have just under three weeks - he is at university and I work. My father spent some time many years ago in Naina Tal and I would love to visit the place he spoke of with such affection.

How easy would it be to incorporate a side trip to Naina Tal into our main holiday? We are still in the very early stages of planning so would welcome any other advice you could give us about booking hotels, travel etc.

Thank you.

new delhi
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

you can easily hire a taxi for nani tal, or alternatively take a train to kathgodam & a taxi from there. there are lot of place near naini tal which you would like jim corbett national park, ranikhet, almora.

Delhi
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Hi, You can spend two weeks in Rajasthan including Golden Triangle tour (Delhi - Agra -Jaipur) and travel to Nainital and spend one week over there. You can hire same car for entire your journey. If you have any further queries post here or send me a mail at asina@rediffmail.com

Have a great time in India!!!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Thanks for all of this - really helpful!

How does it work if you hire a driver - which seems a very good idea.

Do they book hotels - we would probably want mid-price ones - or would that be left to us - and how would that fit into any itinerary the drivers company had in mind?

Sorry if these questions sound so basic but this trip has been a long time coming and I want to get it right.

Thanks again

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Hi Sandy!

By the way - I forgot to say in my last post that your mention of Kathgodam brought back so many memories of things my father told me about his travels in India.

He said that he used to get a train to what he called 'the railhead' at

Kathgodam (I used to think it was called kafkadam!) then hire a driver up to Naina Tal. He also used to talk about something called Nanda Devi (?) and said that he saw the Himalayas from where he was stationed.

Does this sound right?

Best Wishes and thanks

Diana

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Yes, from certain places in that area, you can definitely see parts of the Himalayas - I think the hills where Nanital is situated are actually the foothills of the Himalayas.

You can hire a taxi from Delhi but the road probably isn't the best and it would be a very long and tiring trip. If you can do it by train, that would be a better option I think.

I have been by car but because we also stayed in the Corbett Tiger Reserve first and then had a short side trip to Nanital. The drive to Corbett is not something I am keen on doing again! While that was a few years ago, things aren't much better now I gather.

This place may be of interest to you: www.cornwall-online.co.uk/camp-corbett/

This is a lodge which is reasonable close to both Corbett National Park and Nanital. To stay here though, you would probably need a car. Camp Corbett and Mountain Quail Camp (but Mountain Quail is way up in the hills) are really nice places - not fancy but they are family run places. I stayed there 5 years ago to help the owners with a conservation issue and it is a lovely part of the world. The issue was that a large hotel chain were trying to and had partially built a large resort right next door to Camp Corbett. Given how long it was since I've been there, research this one carefully if interested!

Delhi
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Hi, I would recommend and suggest you to check at www.fourwheeldriveindia.com as they have very professional to provide car services with safety in mind, we are using them to proivding taxi services to our foreign guests and hotel booking made by ourself. Have a great time in India!!!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Hi

I have read your post today and thiking about your past memories the time your father had spend in that region (Naini tal) .

I remind a bollywood movie call (Kisna) on love story based at same region at your father time in Naini tal. So please have look this movie before you come in India.

I would like to suggest you visit small villages in Rajasthan sector to see real india with there local tradition, I am sure if your father told you about our tradition/festival /culture how we enjoy to celibrate with great Pleasure .

First you should visit Rajasthan then ahead to agra then to Nainital with same car so you don`t waist your time and money ,

becouse when you will finish your travel in other part like Rajasthan etc. the whether tempreture will increase day by day so in Nainital you will feel lovely becouse of hill station .

If you are looking for a travel organisation i would suggest you www.rajuindia.com very good name for good service to get good value of your money.

If you are looking for single owner car driver then contact to mr. singh at : travelwithsingh@yahoo.co.in

for more info.contact me at raj281@hotmail.com

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

That is a huge amount of time in a car, on Indian roads. You are braver than me....

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

hi yoyogi ,

Are you reply same post everywvere, not good suggestion to do this!!. I hope you don`t mind for tell you this. This forum is not a duty to repeat one thing, instead pz try to inform people .

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Delhi to Naina Tal

Its also not the purpose of the Forum to drum up business for taxi drivers, just for each person to provide their views and advice.

Generally, I would not advise anyone to cover long distances in India by car unless the area is inaccessible by rail or plane. Take a comfortable train or flight as far as possible and then get a car at the destination.

India has a great rail network, it is relatively environmentally friendly and generally efficient.

Cars are fine, but roads are bad, the quality of cars can differ and roads in India compared to other countries are not too safe when you consider the driving habits of other drivers.

Therefore, short trips are good by car, long trips not (if there are other options).